Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1955
  • Mileage 
    15 201 mi / 24 464 km
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Country VAT 
    GB
  • Chassis number 
    S817502
  • Engine number 
    G377185
  • Lot number 
    71
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Number of doors 
    2
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Gearbox 
    Manual
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

- Former Jaguar Drivers' Club concours award winner and twice featured on the front cover of the XK Gazette

- Sympathetically uprated by renowned marque specialist
Classic Motor Cars of Bridgnorth in 1998/99 including partial engine overhaul, Getrag five-speed gearbox, alternator conversion, higher capacity radiator etc

Launched at the 1954 Motor Show, the XK140 boasted the same bewitching styling as its forebear but allied it to a host of important mechanical improvements. Chief among these was the adoption of rack and pinion steering. Though, the fitment of telescopic shock absorbers (in place of the XK120's antiquated lever arm dampers) also had a noticeably beneficial effect on handling / roadholding. With its engine and bulkhead repositioned three inches further forward, the new model enjoyed a notably roomier cabin (the fixed and drophead coupe variants gaining occasional rear seats as a result). Available in 'standard', 'special equipment' or 'special equipment plus C-type cylinder head' guises, power and torque outputs ranged from 190bhp / 210lbft to 210bhp / 213lbft. Distinguished by its one-piece bumpers and simpler, more imposing radiator grille, the XK140 was among the fastest cars of its generation. Reputedly capable of over 130mph, it focused public consciousness on Jaguar's continued success at Le Mans (the Coventry marque winning the endurance classic in 1951, 1953, 1955, 1956 and 1957).

According to its accompanying Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust Certificate, this particular example - chassis S817502 - was factory finished in Cream with Red leather upholstery and a Black hood. A Special Equipment model, its original specification also comprised a C-Type cylinder head, twin exhaust system, wire wheels with centre-lock fixing and twin fog lamps. Dispatched to Max Hoffman's famous New York dealership on 18th June 1955, the Jaguar is known to have belonged to Florence Caruso, Richard Reitter and Herbert Simms amongst others whilst Stateside. Repatriated as a stalled project during 1988, the XK140 was first UK registered as 'TSK 491' on May 1st 1992 to Anthony Jackson of Henley-in-Arden by which time it had been extensively restored including a conversion from left- to right-hand drive. Briefly belonging to Stephen Murphy of Wolverton, the Drophead Coupe was acquired by its previous keeper William Brown of Colton on October 13th 1994 for £34,500.

Forming part of the JDHT's 'Hall of Fame' display at the Top Gear Classic & Sportscar Show on May 6th-8th 1995 which saw eighty-two cars corralled to celebrate sixty years of the Jaguar marque, chassis S817502 went on to win various Jaguar Drivers' Club Concours d'Elegance awards (including two 1st places). A keen enthusiast whose garage also housed an Aston Martin DB5 and Big Healey, Mr Brown entrusted the XK140 to Phil Kennedy of Renascence Classic Cars for a cosmetic refresh in 1997 (photos on file). The following two years saw the Drophead Coupe uprated by renowned marque specialist Classic Motor Cars of Bridgnorth with a view to enhancing its drivability, reliability and driving dynamics. As well as having its 3.4 litre engine attended to (re-ground crankshaft, new shell bearings, unleaded fuel cylinder head conversion), the Jaguar gained a Getrag five-speed manual gearbox and diaphragm clutch, Cambridge Motor Sport hi-torque starter motor, electronic ignition, alternator and negative earth conversion, more modern spin-on oil filter, higher capacity radiator, expansion tank, electric cooling fan, electric fuel pump, Moto Lita steering wheel, glovebox concealed Brantz trip meter and custom-built bucket seats (originals retained with the car).

In total Mr Brown spent over £45,000 improving and fettling the XK140 between 1994 and 2006 when it entered the current ownership. Thoroughly enjoyed by the vendor over the last eleven years, the Drophead Coupe is said to have proved very reliable consuming no more than a pint of oil during a tour through England, Scotland and Wales during 2016. Riding on 54-spoke wire wheels and benefiting from a recent smartening of its bodywork and paintwork, this much-loved Jaguar is offered for sale with a very large and detailed history file plus a spare set of body-coloured wire wheels.