Despite their marked differences, all 250 Series Ferraris shared a basic engine architecture – a glorious three-liter V-12 with each cylinder displacing 250 cc. In all of its forms, the Ferrari V-12 offered seamless acceleration and outstanding reliability. It was also an aesthetic delight, with lightweight aluminum castings and wrinkle-finished valve covers crowned by a row of downdraft Weber carburetors. The tipo 128 engine debuted in 1955 and steadily evolved. As the final development of the series, the 128F engine featured an outside-plug arrangement, coil-valve springs, and larger valves for improved breathing.
The tipo 128F engine and tipo 508E gearbox presented here were originally installed in chassis 3437 GT, a Series II 250 GTE. This car was delivered new in Italy and eventually reconstructed in SWB Berlinetta form. Approximately 30 years ago, Ferrari collector Greg Garrison acquired the engine and gearbox for use in a future restoration. When the project did not come to fruition, the engine and gearbox became a static display in Mr. Garrison’s impressive stable. The components have not been run for several decades and are presented in largely unrestored condition, though the engine turns by hand.
Offered from the famous Greg Garrison collection, this Ferrari engine and gearbox could serve as important spares for 250 Series models, or could be displayed alongside contemporary Ferrari automobiles and admired for their inherent beauty and technical sophistication.