1960 1960 Ferrari 250 GT

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1960
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Lot number 
    122
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Restored
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Grey
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

Italian title
Chassis n° 2139 GT
Engine n° 1893GT
Pinin Farina body n° 29793

- High standard of restoration by Bacchelli e Villa
- Unusual original colour "Grigio Fumo"
- Rare and highly attractive model
- Meticulously maintained
- Coming from an important Milanese collection

The " 250 " family occupies a special place at Ferrari, having played an important role in making the constructor what it is today, turning the business from a small-scale marque building cars to order into a manufacturer of sports car produced in series. The 250 range was based on a powerful 3-litre V12 engine designed by Gioacchino Colombo, adaptable enough to use on the road or the track. The first 250 was unveiled in 1952, in a rather sporty guise, and was soon followed by the 250 Ellena and the 250 GT Europa. Comfortable and well equipped for long journeys, its 240 bhp capable of 240 km/h, these models appealed to a wide clientele. This development was confirmed, in 1958, by the arrival of the 250 GT PF coupé, the last two letters corresponding to Pinin Farina, (still written as two separate words), who designed and built the body. Pinin Farina was also responsible for the creation of the 250 GT PF coupé presented in 1958 which saw Ferrari pass once and for all from the status of an artisan to that of a car manufacturer. At the 1959 Paris Motor Show, Ferrari presented the cabriolet 250 GT Series II in what would be its definitive form. The appeal of its sophisticated engineering was enhanced by the relaxed pleasure of driving with the hood down. The cabriolet was one of the most glamorous models of the 1960s - if not in the history of the automobile. In the sporting domaine, the success story of the 250 would culminate with the 250 GT Tour de France, the celebrated 250 GTO and the 250 LM, the latter paving the way for the future generation with its mid-engined set-up. Based on the same engine, these cars helped to establish the unrivalled reputation of Ferrari.

According to information provided by marque specialist Marcel Massini, this car was delivered new in September 1960 to Alberto di Tanna, in Rome. It was equipped with a type 508 F chassis, a type 128 F engine, and was liveried in "Grigio Fumo MM 16672", with "Nero VM 8500" upholstery. It was the 93rd of 200 examples of this model produced.
This stunning cabriolet was subsequently exported to the US and sold in February 1978 by a certain Michael Kraushaar, of Grand Rapid, Michigan, to Aldo Macioce, of Brighton, Massachussetts. The car was then red, and the file has a copy of the registration document from this period.
The current owner, who had been looking for this type of cabriolet for a long time, bought it from Macioce in March 1990 and brought it back to Italy. Very particular about quality, it was several years before our Italian collector was ready to carry out a full restoration of the car. He began by searching for a V12 engine in good condition, eventually finding n°1893GT, which remains in the car today. Finally at the start of the 2000s, he took it to the best craftsmen to be comprehensively restored. The renowned Carrozzeria Auto Sport, better known as Bacchelli e Villa, were put in charge of the body, which was returned to its elegant shade of "Grigio Fumo". The leather was bought directly from Connolly and the upholstery re-done in an attractive light beige colour. The owner's mechanic, employed full-time to look after his collection, rebuilt the engine. With nothing left to chance, the final result is superb. The coachwork is immaculate and all panels line up perfectly. Inside, the part-painted metal dashboard displays an array of magnificent instruments with chrome that shines like new. The car has a toolkit that includes the special copper hammer for the spinners on the wire wheels.
Since 2008, when the work was completed, the car has only been used occasionally, for trips along the banks of Lake Como on sunny days. It will provide its new owner with the unbeatable thrill of a high class V12 engine in a convertible car of great beauty. A rare combination providing an opportunity not to be missed.