1965 BMW 1800

TI/SA

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1965
  • Car type 
    Saloon
  • Competition car 
    Yes
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Original Condition
  • Interior brand colour 
    Schwarz/Rot
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    White

Description

- Original Werks 1800 TI/SA
- Deutsche Straßenzulassung
- Original TI/SA Motor & Rennmotor by Richard Shaw
- Matching Numbers

1965 wurde neben den Standardtypen das Sondermodell BMW 1800 TI/SA (SA=Sonderausführung) in 200 Einheiten als Homologationswagen für den Motorsport gefertigt. Das Fahrzeug wurde ausschließlich an lizenzierte Renn- und Sportfahrer in Europa und den USA ausgeliefert. Technisch zeichnet sich der BMW 1800 TI/SA durch folgende Änderungen aus: Umfangreiche Modifikationen am Motor (größere Ventile, 300°-Nockenwelle, zwei Weber-Doppelvergaser, Verdichtung 10,5:1, Kurbelwelle mit 8 Gegengewichten, damit „mindestens“ 130 PS bei 6.100 min−1), Höchstgeschwindigkeit über 180 km/h (Testwert ams 24/1964: 192 km/h), Federbeine vorn mit vergrößerten Lagern und Naben sowie vergrößerten Bremsscheiben, stärkere Stabilisatoren vorn und hinten, Fünfgang-Getriebe und eine direktere Lenkübersetzung. Optisch gleicht der BMW 1800 TI/SA weitgehend dem 1800 TI, so ziert ihn auch nur das Typenschild des BMW 1800 TI. Im Innenraum ist der TI/SA an speziellen Schalensitzen des Typs Restall-Masterfit, einem großen vorstehenden Drehzahlmesser und einem speziellen Holzlenkrad zu erkennen.
Dieser BMW 1800 TI/SA ist eines von vier Fahrzeugen, welche an BMW Amerika geliefert wurden um für das neue Modell zu werben. In den folgenden zwei Jahren wurde der 1800 TI/SA erfolgreich bei verschiedenen Tourenwagen Rennen in Watkins Glen, Sebring, Road America und vielen anderen East Coast Rennstrecken eingesetzt.
Nachdem ein privater BMW-Sammler den TI/SA noch bis 1997 bei verschiedenen historischen Rennen in USA einsetzte, wurde das Fahrzeug im Anschluss in einem Museum ausgestellt.
Im Jahre 2006 wurde der BMW in Pebble Beach verkauft und durch den neuen Eigentümer nach England gebracht. Dort bekam das Fahrzeug einen neuen Rennmotor von Richard Shaw.
In England nahm der BMW 1800 TI/SA unteranderem mehrmals in Goodwood teil. Im Jahre 2007 im legendären Rennen der St. Mary´s Trophy und 2008 beim Members meeting.

- Original factory 1800 TI / SA
- German street legal
- Original TI / SA engine & racing engine by Richard Shaw
- Matching Numbers

In 1965, in addition to the standard types, the special model BMW 1800 TI / SA (SA = special version) was produced in 200 units as a homologation car for motorsport. The vehicle was delivered exclusively to licensed racing and sports drivers in Europe and the USA. Technically, the BMW 1800 TI / SA is characterized by the following changes: Extensive modifications to the engine (larger valves, 300 ° camshaft, two Weber double carburettors, compression 10.5: 1, crankshaft with 8 counterweights, so "at least" 130 hp at 6,100 rpm), top speed over 180 km / h (test value ams 24/1964: 192 km / h), front suspension struts with enlarged bearings and hubs and enlarged brake discs, stronger stabilizers front and rear, five-speed gearbox and a more direct steering ratio . Visually, the BMW 1800 TI / SA largely resembles the 1800 TI, so only the nameplate of the BMW 1800 TI adorns it. In the interior, the TI / SA can be recognized by special Restall-Masterfit type bucket seats, a large protruding tachometer and a special wooden steering wheel.
This BMW 1800 TI / SA is one of four vehicles that were delivered to BMW America to advertise the new model. In the following two years the 1800 TI / SA was successfully used in various touring car races at Watkins Glen, Sebring, Road America and many other East Coast circuits.
After a private BMW collector used the TI / SA in various historical races in the USA until 1997, the vehicle was subsequently exhibited in a museum.
In 2006 the BMW was sold in Pebble Beach and brought to England by the new owner. There the vehicle got a new racing engine from Richard Shaw.
In England, the BMW 1800 TI / SA took part in Goodwood several times. In 2007 in the legendary St. Mary's Trophy race and in 2008 at the Members Meeting.