1938 Bentley 4 1/4 Litre

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1938
  • Car type 
    Convertible / Roadster
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Restored
  • Interior colour 
    Black
  • Number of doors 
    2
  • Number of seats 
    4
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Red
  • Gearbox 
    Manual
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

From 1919 to 1931 Walter Owen Bentley’s original company, Bentley Motors Ltd, manufactured the legendary Vintage Bentley cars that were so successful at Le Mans and other international race meetings. The company’s reputation for producing great sports cars was unsurpassed, but the end of the vintage period saw the Wall Street Crash of 1929 and the company, having just produced the hugely extravagant 8 Litre, was unable to survive. The writing was on the wall and in 1931 receivers were appointed to deal with the remaining assets. Rolls Royce had seen the Bentley 8 Litre as a rival to their own Phantom 11 design and also saw an excellent business opportunity in being able to take over the Bentley company and the name. They purchased the name and remaining assets.

Their first design using the Bentley badge was the 3.5 Litre model built at the Derby works, and first unveiled to the public in 1933. It was an immediate success and proved to be a highly capable sports car in its own right. The engine was a more powerful version of the beautifully engineered Rolls Royce 20/25 engine. The well balanced chassis was equipped with a mechanical assist brake servo (used on all models until 1966!), a superb gearbox and precise steering. The car became known as the “silent sports car”, reflecting its outstanding performance on the open road. 1191 cars were produced.

In March 1936 the engine capacity was enlarged and the new model, the 4.25 Litre, was announced. The enlarged engine provided the extra torque and flexibility required to carry the heavier more voluminous coachwork that customers were asking for in the latter part of the decade. 1241 units were produced.

B-153-KU was built in 1938 and carries one of the most desirable and prettiest coachwork designs, the Sedanca Coupe by Gurney Nutting. Few Derby’s can boast such an elegant design. Apart from its looks It is also an ideal design for international tours and rallies. The large integrated trunk to the rear rather that spoiling the lines, actually provides balance and proportion unlike most other coachbuilder’s attempts to provide storage space. The car was supplied originally to Lady Rosebury of Leighton Buzzard Bedfordshire on 30th July 1938. The car is a matching numbers example and has had a very full restoration with a full photographic/documentary record of the work undertaken. The engine was rebuilt using the new highly praised aluminium cylinder heads from Fiennes Engineering. It has successfully completed several European tours and rallies.