"When Rolls-Royce bought Bentley Motors, they shut down production of the 8 and 4½ litre. They then had to decide what to do with the Bentley name as they couldn't afford to alienate their customer base and not build a new Bentley. The question was what sort of car to build; after several false starts, the Experimental Department developed a prototype car based on an earlier 18hp experimental chassis called the 'Peregrine' and a suitably tweaked 20/25hp engine; this combination proved to be a winner. Launched in 1933, the first of what would become known as the 'Derby Bentleys' continued the marque's sporting associations. The 'Silent Sportscar', as it was quickly dubbed and had few peers as a tireless long-distance tourer, combining traditional Rolls-Royce refinement with Bentley performance and handling. In 1936, the 4¼ litre model was offered with more power than the 3½ litre while retaining the well-proven chassis and servo-assisted brakes.
This Bentley forms part of a deceased estate and was purchased by its late owner in 1969. The history file shows that during his tenure the car was looked after by various garages including the world-famous Bentley dealership, Jack Barclay. Presenting with green and grey bodywork and a grey leather interior, this saloon is offered to auction with a file containing various bills and receipts that date back to the 1960’s, a V5C registration document, its original buff logbook and a copy of the blueprint for this model from Hoopers Coachworks. This imposing Bentley was recently uncovered in the dry barn that has housed it for several years. There are no records of when the engine and gearbox were removed but they and various sundry items are present. It appears that most of the parts are present to complete what could be an extremely rewarding project. Offered without reserve it would be wonderful to see this Bentley back on the roads where it belongs."