1954 Aston Martin DB2/4

Mk1

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1954
  • Car type 
    Coupé
  • Chassis number 
    LML/689
  • Engine number 
    VB6E/50/1414
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Restored
  • Exterior brand colour 
    Jubilee silver
  • Metallic 
    Yes
  • Interior colour 
    Blue
  • Interior type 
    Leather
  • Number of doors 
    2
  • Number of seats 
    4
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Silver
  • Gearbox 
    Manual
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

The Aston Martin DB2/4 was launched in 1953 and was the successor to Aston’s DB2. It was available as a 2+2 hatchback or an open drophead Coupe. Broadly similar to the DB2, the DB2/4 featured various subtle changes such as new rear suspension, higher headlights, a single-piece windscreen, larger bumpers, and a large rear door giving access to its ample luggage space. The rear roofline was also raised to allow headroom for passengers using the back seats. Design of the coachwork was carried out by Frank Feeley.

The same W.O.Bentley designed, double overhead camshaft straight-six, 2.6-litre engine (VB6/E) was used, tuned to 125bhp, enabling the car to achieve 120mph and 0-60mph in 11.2 seconds. However, in the summer of 1954, the capacity was increased from 2,580cc to 2,992cc (VB6/J), which raised power to 140bhp at 5,000rpm and reduced the 0-60mph time to ten seconds dead. 

According to Autocar the DB2/4 was: "an expensive car designed to cater for the connoisseur of sports cars who is not limited by financial considerations.... a car of rare quality, unusual performance, exceptional road-worthiness and unrivalled versatility”. While the vast majority of DB2/4s received the well known Mulliners coachwork, a small number were bodied by Allemano, Bertone and Vignale, each commissioned at special request.

LML 689 is 1 of the 460 DB2/4 Mk1s built between 1952-5 and was delivered new to its first owner W.R Hughes of Liverpool on 2nd April 1954. It later passed through the ownership of N.D. Howard (of Cheshire) and R.C Gregory (Rutland) before eventually living in Germany for over 20 years from the late 1980s. In recent years the car has been superbly restored and had its engine upgraded by Four Ashes Garage, seeing very little use since. Extensive documentation is available covering the past 30 years of ownership.