1952 Aston Martin DB2 Sports Saloon Coachwork by Mulliners (Birmingham) Ltd Chassis no. LML/50/264 Engine no. VB6B/50/1100
'The fruits of the company's post-war competition experience are now to be seen in a new model, the DB2, which is a 100mph touring car of really individual design. It is designated a sports saloon but is really a streamlined two-three-seater coupé with space for a considerable amount of luggage.' The Autocar, 21st April 1950.
Aston Martin owner David Brown's 1947 acquisition of Lagonda made the latter's W O Bentley-designed, twin-overhead-camshaft, 2.6-litre six available for a new sportscar. Announced in April 1950, with production commencing the following month, the DB2 owed much to the Claude Hill-designed DB1, using a shortened and modified version of the latter's chassis and identical suspension. Italian-inspired, the timelessly elegant GT bodywork was the creation of Frank Feeley, and with more power (105bhp at 5,000rpm) and less weight, the sleek DB2 comfortably out-performed its predecessor. Writing in 1952, Autosport's John Bolster enthused: 'The DB2 is a very fast sportscar of immense stamina, as a long list of racing successes has proved. (The) model is remarkable for its comfort and luxury, and is also about the easiest thing there is to drive, outside of the "automatic transmission" carriages.' Bolster enjoyed the DB2's outstanding performance, particularly that of the 120mph Vantage version, and remarked on the car's inherent safety and versatility: 'Whether one would go shopping, to the theatre, on a long-distance tour, or even race at Le Mans, one could have no more perfect companion than the Aston Martin.'
The body of the DB2 afforded its two occupants a generous amount of interior space and the considerable convenience, from the maintenance and accessibility point of view, of a forward-hinging entire front section. DB2 bodies were coachbuilt in the traditional manner, a situation that resulted in numerous differences between individual examples, most obviously in the treatment of the front grille. A drophead coupe version was announced towards the end of 1950. When production ceased in April 1953 a total of 411 DB2s had been made, of which 98 were drophead coupés.
This left-hand drive DB2 sports saloon was delivered via Autos Europeos in Mexico in December 1952. The accompanying copy guarantee form records the colour scheme as Bottle Blue with red-piped grey interior, and shows that the car was delivered complete with a 'km/h' speedometer and Smiths 'Bijou' cigar lighter. Three owners are listed: Guy Fontaine Calle, Albert Donneaud and Emilio Cruz, all in Mexico. Purchased relatively recently as a restoration project, the car is offered for sale following a change of the vendor's plans and is sold strictly was viewed.
Should the vehicle remain in the UK, local import taxes of 5% will be applied to the purchase price.