1968 Alfa Romeo 1750

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1968
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Lot number 
    271
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other

Description

Italian title Engine n° D05 - High quality period restoration - Indisputable authenticity, in the same hands for 30 years - Formidably effective - Coming from the Telecommunications museum in Milan This Alfa Romeo 1750 GTAm was bought by the engineer Giacomo Tavoletti from an amateur racing driver close to Alfa Romeo, who competed in the car in the special touring car category. In 1986, following this racing career, it was given to the Turbometer restoration workshop, run by Cesano Maderno, in Milan, whose colleague was the former Autodelta mechanic, Signor Paone. A folder of photographs document the work carried out at this time. Once restored, the engine was tested on the rolling road, recording 210 bhp at 8,500 rpm, as shown on the registration form included in the folder. The car then took part in various Alfa Romeo events driven by Giacomo Tavoletti, but spent the majority of its days on display in the Milan Telecommunications museum opened by Tavoletti, a genuine motorsport fanatic. On 27 November 1995, it was recorded in the Registro Italiano Alfa Romeo (RIAR), confirmating its authenticity. It is presented today in superb condition, with correct modifications for this competition model. The wheel arches have been widened to accommodate wide wheels, the car is without bumpers and has been fitted with a roll-cage. The interior has been stripped out and the accelerator has a particular shape to make it easier to heel and toe. The bucket seats are fitted with Sabelt harnesses. The transmission features a rear axle with Autodelta sliding block and, at the rear, the fuel tank is equipped with a special spout with a filler cap through the boot lid. Under the bonnet is the recognisable twin spark engine with Spica injection specific to this model. These modifications were developed on the 1750 GTAm from 1970 onwards, when regulations changed to allow homologation of the 1750 GTV in Group 2. Autodelta then used the American 1750 injection versions (Am for American) that were capable of considerable technical development with an engine that could be increased to 2-litres. Around forty cars were transformed by Autodelta. This model corresponds to one of the most highly developed versions of the Giulia Sprint, and it is rare to find a genuine example that has been so well preserved and with such clear recent history. Coming with a photographic record of its discovery and restoration, this is a very rare find, meriting serious interest from collectors.