1946 Ariel 499cc VH2 Red Hunter Project Registration no. not registered Frame no. BP2441 Engine no. CK1563
Val Page's arrival at Ariel in 1925 as Chief Designer would trigger a welcome upturn in the Selly Oak firm's fortunes. Page designed new models to replace the existing range, the first of which - a pair of singles displacing 600cc (sidevalve) and 500cc (overhead-valve) - debuted later that year. By 1930 the Ariel single had gained a rear-mounted magneto and its distinctive timing cover, and the engine's basic design - though frequently revised - would stand the company in good stead well into the post-war era. In 1932 the sports versions were christened 'Red Hunter' and under Page's successor Edward Turner developed into fast and stylish machines.
Coded NH and VH (350/500), the sporting Red Hunters resumed production after WW2 alongside their deluxe NG and VG counterparts. The entire range boasted girder forks pending the arrival of Ariel's own telescopic fork for 1946, while all the overhead-valve models could be ordered with a twin-port cylinder head, as seen here. Ariel Owners' Club records show that this machine was despatched to Philpott's Garage, Kent on 14th May 1946 equipped with a pillion seat and footrests. This motorcycle is offered incomplete and for restoration. It should be noted that there is no registration document with this Lot, which is sold strictly as viewed.