- In a state of origin
- One of three bodied by Dubos
- One of 32 equipped with the T26 Grand Sport engine
It was in late 1946 that Anthony Lago unveiled his new chassis Lago T26 Record to the press. Derived from the Lago Special CV 23 from the pre-war period, the Record was mounted on a lengthened chassis, from 295 to 312cm long wheelbase, and featured a new front suspension of independent coil springs. But it was the engine that was at the heart of this sports car. The capacity of 4482cc gave the car 26 CV in terms of taxable horsepower, which is why it was named the T26. Only 32 cars were powered by the exceptional T26 Grand Sport engine, developing an impressive 190bhp. Aspirated by three carburetors and a bigger bore, which is the case of chassis number 102 017 of our sale. Several bodies were available from the factory, all elegantly proportioned, with long hoods. Despite the attractive stock bodywork from the factory, Talbot and Lago also offered the car in chassis-only form too. The best coachbuilders flocked to make cars on this chassis, including Figoni, Saoutchik, Chapron and Dubos.
Chassis number 102017 was a T26 that left the factory on January 16, 1951 and was delivered to its first owner, Mr Cazalet. The chassis frame carries the number 3534 and has been equipped from the start with a Grand Sport engine with aluminum cylinder head, Borgo pistons and three Zenith carburetors. The engine number is 2654-8 and corresponds to the original one of the car. It was completely renovated in 2005 and has been driven for about 5000 km without any problems. The original gearbox, which bears the number 3575, is a Wilson pre-selector, a specialty of the brand from Suresnes. Also in 2005, the car was completely serviced and adjusted by the well known specialist Didier Pacic. The rear axle is original, with the number 3539. All electricals was also redone in 2005. The bodywork is signed Dubos. Long and slender, the design is the typical transitional elegance of the 1950s, as the change in style did not happen suddenly. The flank has many vents as a reference to the Grand Sport engine. Originally black in color, the car was repainted white nearly forty years ago. The car's original cream leather interior is well preserved. The hood was redone in a black shade to contrast with the body. The dashboard features full instrumentation with a meter that reads to 200 km/h. It is equipped with a beautiful sports steering wheel with spokes. According to information obtained from the Talbot Club, there must have been three convertible bodies by Dubos on the Talbot Lago T26 chassis. The one on offer would be the only one with the Grand Sport engine. It has had only two owners since 1976 to 2009. In 2009 the car changed hands, to be sold to the current owner, a Dutch collector. This rare, powerful and sporty Talbot Lago, very origina with its original engine, is a car of high quality and bodied by one of the great names of French coachbuilding.