- Superb body by Graber
- Grand Sport engine
- Great rarity
- Vintage quality restoration
This car combines with class several strengths: Talbot Record chassis, a rare Grand Sport engine with aluminum cylinder head, and a special body by Graber from Switzerland.
When he took over the brand in 1934, Anthony Lago gave it a sportier connotation. Collaborating with the engineer Walter Becchia, the engines were more efficient and the competitive versions were winning races, with a Special Lago winning the Grand Prix de l'ACF in 1937, followed by the Tourist Trophy and the Grand Prix de Marseille and Tunis.
After the WW II, Talbot developed an engine with a very special design which was not far from ERAs or Rileys. This 4.5-liter six-cylinder had two camshafts located high on the block, which controlled the valves via very short rocker arms, the shape of the cylinder head suggesting the DOHC. This engine was available both in road and racing version; the latter called the Grand Sport, with an aluminum cylinder head with three carburetors. It was in a T26 Grand Sport that Louis Rosier and his son won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1950. According to some sources who had access to factory records, 32 cars would have been powered with a Grand Sport engine.
This is the case of the car that we are offering. The chassis was delivered on November 2, 1950 to the Graber coachwork in Switzerland, and car emerged a few months later, in a beautiful convertible bodywork. Based in Switzerland, near Bern, Graber had a reputation as a serious coachbuilder executing very high-quality work, this elegant very well finished car is there to testify.
This cabriolet remained for the first few years in Switzerland before being shipped to the US in 1965 to an enthusiast based in Pennsylvania. Twenty years later, in 1985, it was purchased by Bob Bahre for his fantastic collection exhibited in Paris Hill, Maine. In 1998, it passed into the hands of Jerome Sauls, a restorer, who embarked on a complete overhaul of the car. Once finished, the car took part in the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in August 2000. Then it returned to Europe to join a private collection. The current owner, who bought it in 2013, has hardly used the car, though he did redo the hood in a beautiful blue hue. This is a particularly delicate task as it has a wooden frame, which has been completely renovated.
This is a superb convertible, particularly rare and elegant, the design and style symbolizing the transition from tradition to modernity, from the 1930s to the postwar era. A beautiful piece for truly discerning collectors.