"The Sunbeam Talbot 90 was a sports saloon produced and built by the British firm by the same name from 1948 to 1954 and continued as the Sunbeam Mk. III from 1954 to 1957. The 90 was launched in 1948 along with the smaller engine Sunbeam Talbot 80 but many features dated back to the pre-war Sunbeam Talbot two litre. The body, available as a four door sports saloon or two door drophead coupé appeared completely new. The saloon featured the original AeroMinx 'pillarless' join between the glass on the rear door and the rear quarter window with its distinctive Sunbeam Talbot reverse slope. The 90 continued in production renamed as the 90 Mk. II with a new chassis and independent front suspension. The headlamps were raised by three inches to meet American regulations and the front driving lamps were replaced with a pair of small air intake grilles. The 90 Mk. II also had an enlarged overhead valve engine with 2267cc. The cars were successful rally cars with a Mk. II driven by Stirling Moss, Desmond Scannell and John Cooper taking second place in the 1952 Monte-Carlo Rally. The Mk. IIa arrived in 1952 with the main update on this model being the removal of the rear wheel spats. This was the last car to bear the Sunbeam Talbot name before the name was changed to Sunbeam Mk. III (without 'Talbot') in 1954.The Mk. IIa had a higher compression engine raising output to 77bhp. To cater for the higher speeds the car was now capable of, the brakes were enlarged and to improve brake cooling the wheels were pierced.
The Mk. IIa offered here is a mechanically strong example that would benefit from some cosmetic attention. Whilst restored some years ago the paint has faded and the car would benefit from some investment in this area once again. Last MoT’d on 6th July 2016 the car is supplied with a V5C registration document and copies of the original logbook. Included also is some literature on the cars.