In receivership in 1933, Studebaker had been revitalised by the time of the Champion's introduction in 1939 and this new medium-sized model would prove an outstanding success, re-emerging after WW2. The Champion was powered by a 164.3ci (2.7-litre) sidevalve six producing 78hp, which drove via a three-speed synchromesh gearbox with column shift. Other noteworthy features included Planar independent front suspension, variable ratio steering and Houde shock absorbers, while the Deluxe models came with dual windscreen wipers, front door armrests, sun visors, dual tail lights and a host of other 'extras'. The 'turret top' styling was up-to-the-minute, and the Champion's frontal aspect with its horizontal radiator grille bars flanked by vertical bars on each side was undeniably handsome.
This Studebaker Champion Deluxe Coupé was imported new into Portugal in 1939 and has carried the registration 'BC-10-G8' ever since. The car was fully restored in Oporto by J. Barquinha in the late 1990s, the colour being changed from the original green to the present beige (another alternative in 1939) and in April 2007 was featured in a six-page article in Motor Classico magazine. Described by the vendor as in generally very good condition, it comes with an Automóvel Club de Portugal 'Historic Interest Certificate' mentioning its 'excellent restoration work' and is certified by the Clube Português de Automóveis Antigos. The tyres are new.