"The Rolls-Royce Silver Dawn is a car that was produced at their Crewe works between 1949 and 1955. It was the first Rolls-Royce to be offered with a factory built body which it shared, along with its chassis, with the Bentley Mk. VI until 1952 and then the Bentley R-Type until production finished in 1955. The car was first introduced as an export only model. The lefthand drive models had column gear shifts while righthand drives had a floor gear shift by the door. A mere 760 were produced between 1949 and 1955. Earlier models, up to circa May 1954, had a different dashboard from the Bentley Mk. VI and R-Type and were fitted with a single exhaust system. The in-line, six-cylinder engine had overhead inlet and side exhaust valves and had a capacity of 4257cc until 1951 when it was enlarged to 4566cc. The carburettor was a single downdraught Stromberg until 1952 when it was replaced by a Zenith. The suspension was independent at the front using coil springs; at the rear the live axle used half elliptic leaf springs. Servo assisted 12.25 drum brakes were hydraulically operated at the front but retained mechanical operation at the rear. Although many cars were fitted with factory built bodies, others were supplied to external coachbuilders.
This truly remarkable Rolls-Royce is testament to the quality of British manufacturing of the 1950s. This car was purchased by Colonel A Malcolm Scott in 1954 from H. R. Owen in Berkley Street, London and since then was serviced regularly, once a year, by Lex Mead of Market Street, Maidenhead, Berkshire whilst in his custodianship. When the present owner purchased this vehicle in 1975, the service manager of Lex Mead commented that he had known the car for many years and everything that needed doing to the car was always done when it came in for a service. The original records had been destroyed by this time but from July 1968 the car had only done about 14,000 miles because Colonel Scott was getting very old and was retiring. Up until that time the car was driven mainly by himself and since then by a chauffeur. The car has been extremely well maintained whilst in the present ownership and has been stored for many years, only being used sparingly when the weather and time has permitted. In 1978 the car was resprayed into the colours it bears today which still looks fabulous. This wonderful and serene looking Rolls-Royce is presented in silver/black with its original red leather interior, which is in wonderful condition and original front bumper mounted additional lights. All woodwork has been restored and looks superb and the rear passengers can also enjoy the walnut picnic tables which fold down from the back of the front seats. Its smooth straight-six engine is mated to a manual, floor mounted, gear change and drives extremely well. It comes with its original buff log book showing the present owner’s details as proof that he is indeed the second owner, also accompanying the car is a good history file containing many invoices and various reports. A great British luxury saloon which still graces our roads."