Engine nø 40735
Engine Type 528
Coachwork Reutter nø60489
- Superb Italian restoration
- Rare Pre A Super cabriolet
- Original engine, the most powerful 1500 Super version
Designed in the aftermath of the Second World War, the Porsche 356 had an eventful beginning, starting in Gmnd in the Austrian Alps, and moving later to Stuttgart, the home of the Porsche family. Finally, in 1949, the model was officially unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show, and the following year, two Porsche 356s were displayed at the Paris Motor Show. Shortly afterwards, in January 1951, Ferdinand Porsche disappeared and his son, the dynamic and brilliant Ferry Porsche, took over.
For reasons of cost and simplicity, the 356 used a platform derived from the Volkswagen, as well as its engine, which was modified to provide more power. The body was designed by Erwin Komeda, the aerodynamics engineer from Austria who Porsche had already worked with on the Auto Union competition cars and the VW. The body was constructed in the coachbuilder Reutter's workshop in Stuttgart. Light and aerodynamic, the car was great on winding roads. The first 356s, appearing before the 356 A launched in 1955, were retrospectively baptised " pre-A " and are rare models.
The cabriolet on offer, probably sold new to the United States, was later bought by an important Italian collector. With a sound base, it was restored at great expense at the end of the 1990s, entrusted to the best specialists in Italy : the Serattini workshop in Bologna, one of the top coachbuilders specialising in Porsches, were responsible for the bodywork. The specialists Cassina, also based in Bologna, took care of the upholstery, carpets and hood. Finally, the mechanical work was carried out by the reputable Oficina Biasetti in Parma. Since the start of the 2000s this car has belonged to a lawyer who is passionate about Porsches and has taken great care with it. This cabriolet, therefore, remains in superb condition. A rare occurrence, it retains its original 70 bhp 1500 Super engine, which was the most powerful version of the famous flat-four air-cooled engine used for this model. The car is presented in its original ivory colour, with a lovely red leather interior. This is a superb example of one of the rarest, earliest and most desirable 356 models, a testimony to the early days of a marque that has had a huge impact on the history of motorsport from 1950s through to the present day.