Chassis N°: 68300
- Extremely rare on sale
- Master car
- Same owner for more than 15 years
The oldest car brand Panhard is nowadays very collectible and the very pronunciation of its name still arouses passions. René Panhard and Emile Levassor began the manufacture and sale of the world's first mass-produced automobiles in October 1891. The doyenne brand then achieved the most brilliant successes in car racing, notably Paris-Bordeaux-Paris in 1895 and was still the world's largest manufacturer and exporter of cars and trucks in 1900. As early as 1910, Panhard became interested in the valveless engine, according to a patent filed by Charles Yale Knight. Valves were replaced by sliding liners covering and uncovering the intake and exhaust openings. From 1910 to 1924, Panhard & Levassor included cars with conventional valve engines as well as valveless engines in its catalogue. At the end of the 1920s, the Panhard & Levassor range was extensive, with models with four or six-cylinder engines.
The car we are interested in in these pages is a very rare X57 6-cylinder with limousine bodywork made by the coach builder Janssen. It was first put into circulation on 30 September 1928, and was used as a master car. The interior is therefore equipped with a separation between the driver and passengers, the latter being seated on a seat in a still original condition. The current owner bought the car in 2005 in the Gers and it was restarted by a great connoisseur of Panhard. The car is today in a good general condition, the interior is original woolen interior never restored and the bodywork was repainted a few years ago. The 6-cylinder engine without valve is running and is the original one. The car is currently on the road but needs a small overhaul to be able to drive around without any trouble
Aguttes – Auction House in Paris
The Autumn Sale 2020 / 13th of December