1933 Morris Isis 17.7hp Saloon Registration no. not UK registered Chassis no. 6535
Morris sixes were around in small numbers in the early 1920s but the company's first serious effort did not materialise until 1927, with the appearance at the Olympia Motor Show of the 'Light Six'. Based on that of the Wolseley 16/45, the latter's JA-type engine was a 2,468cc overhead-camshaft unit with an RAC rating of 17.7hp. The first production examples shared the Oxford's 48" track dimension but this was widened to 56" early in 1928 when the model name was changed to 'Morris Six'. The latter designation disappeared in July 1929 with the arrival of the Isis, which retained the 17.7hp OHC engine but otherwise was almost entirely different, featuring a new chassis, all-steel Budd body (hence the American styling), and Lockheed hydraulic brakes. Other innovations included Calorstat radiator shutters, Triplex safety glass and chromium plated brightwork. For 1932 there was a new Isis, which returned to traditional ash-framed coachwork and was less American in appearance. Beneath the skin though, the car remained much as before apart from a new four-speed gearbox, replacing the old-three-speed unit.
This Isis saloon comes with an old-style continuation logbook listing previous owners as Sale Car Sales (1969), Robin Kerruish (1969), Peter Howell (1975), and John Clegg (no date). Additional documentation consists of an MoT certificate dated 1986 and an old-style V5 (though the car is Irish registered) listing Mrs Sheila Clegg as owner in 1987.