'Over the years the model has been developed to improve its performance, handling qualities and general comfort. However, in spite of this, the main external features have remained more or less unchanged and even now the recently introduced TF model shows that the bodywork has been restyled to produce a much cleaner external appearance though retaining the MG Midget characteristics.' - Autocar.
The charismatic T-Series MG Midget is popular now among enthusiasts of traditional British sports cars as it was in its heyday, A rushed development programme meant that there was little, mechanically at least, difference between the TF and the outgoing TD II, the 1,250cc, 57bhp, XPAG engine of which was retained. Essentially a restyled version of the latter, the TF retained its predecessor's body centre section but featured a changed front end with a shortened, sloping, radiator grille and headlamps faired into the wings, plus an improved interior with separately adjustable seats. A stop-gap model produced pending the arrival of the MGA, the traditionally styled TF nevertheless sold well, 9,600 units being produced between October 1953 and May 1955.
This left-hand drive 1,250cc Midget left MG's Abingdon factory in January 1954 and was supplied new to the USA, returning to the UK in June 2000. An accompanying album of photographs records a most diligently executed complete 'last nut and bolt' restoration completed in June 2002. The current owner purchased the MG at Bonhams' sale at the National Motor Museum, Beaulieu in September 2012 (Lot 604), by which time it had covered only 400 miles since the build's completion.
Little used since acquisition and described by the private vendor as in generally good/very good condition, the car is offered with a V5C Registration Certificate and the aforementioned photo album. A MotoLita steering wheel, period-look Lucas 576 lights, a luggage rack, and a mohair hood and tonneau cover are the only notified deviations from factory specification.