Property of a deceased's estate Messerschmitt Kabinenroller Project
Introduced in 1953 as the Fend, after its co-designer Fritz Fend, the Messerschmitt microcar was soon being marketed under its manufacturer's name, the change coinciding with a switch from the original's 148cc Fichtel & Sachs engine to a 174cc unit. Sited at the rear, the single-cylinder two-stroke produced a modest 9bhp, enough nevertheless to propel the lightweight and aerodynamic KR175 to around 55mph. Tandem seating and handlebar controls were retained for the 191cc KR200 of 1955, which featured revised bodywork and floor-mounted accelerator and clutch. Production ceased in 1964.
This Lot consists of a quantity of parts to build a Messerschmitt Kabinenroller: two chassis frames (one with '76362' chalked on it); a rear sub-frame; a drive unit numbered '61422'; two noses; front suspension parts; a luggage rack; rear bodywork; trim panels and patterns for new ones; various gauges and lamps; and a quantity of 'new-old-stock' clutch springs and other parts. Sold strictly as viewed.