Property of a deceased's estate c.1960 Messerschmitt KR200 Project Registration no. 472 FWL Chassis no. 70230
Introduced in 1953 as the Fend, after its co-designer Fritz Fend, the Messerschmitt microcar was soon being marketed under its manufacturer's name, the change coinciding with a switch from the original's 148cc Fichtel & Sachs engine to a 174cc unit. Sited at the rear, the single-cylinder two-stroke produced a modest 9bhp, enough nevertheless to propel the lightweight and aerodynamic KR175 to around 55mph. Tandem seating and handlebar controls were retained for the 191cc KR200 of 1955, which featured revised bodywork and floor-mounted accelerator and clutch. By reversing the electric starter the KR200's engine could be made to run backwards, thus providing four reverse gears and the hair-raising possibility of 60mph going backwards! Production ceased in 1964 after some 30,000 KR200s had been made.
Sold strictly as viewed, this KR200 restoration project comes with an engine, gearbox, sub-frame, wheels, suspension, pedal box, steering gear, seats, fuel tank, etc. Prospective purchasers should satisfy themselves with this Lot's completeness or otherwise prior to bidding.