1948 Maserati A6
Delo Lombardi, Milan, Italy (acquired new in 1948)
Franco Bordoni, Milan, Italy (acquired from the above in 1950)
Fernando H. Segura, Bellaire, Texas (acquired from the above in 1951)
Gary C. Elliott, Houston, Texas (acquired from the above in 1956)
Ruther McIntosh, Pasadena, Texas (acquired from the above in 1958)
John F. Bookout Jr., Houston, Texas (acquired in 1998)
Current Owner (acquired from the above in 2016)
Coppa Inter-Europa, Monza, May 1949, Bordoni (1st in Class)
Coppa Inter-Europa, Monza, March 1950, Bordoni (1st in Class)
Giro Notturno del Lario, June 1950, Bordoni
Circuito della Superba, September 1950, Bordoni, No. 70
At the 1947 Geneva Auto Show, Maserati unveiled the all-new Tipo A6, named for company founder Alfieri Maserati and the car’s six-cylinder engine. Built on an advanced tube-frame chassis and powered by a single-overhead camshaft engine, the original A6/1500 was a coupe, with coachwork designed and built by Carrozzeria Pinin Farina. The definitive version of the model appeared in 1948 and was met with a favorable response, praised for its brilliant engine, excellent roadholding, and modern styling.
The introduction of the A6 ushered in a new era for Maserati, as it was the company’s first true production car. In total, just 61 examples of the original A6/1500 were built; all but two were clothed in elegant aluminum coachwork by Pinin Farina.
The Maserati A6/1500 Coupe presented here, chassis 060, is a relatively early production example, with the model’s chassis numbers ranging from 051 to 0110.
As documented by factory records, 060 was completed in December 1948 and delivered new to Delo Lombardi in Milan. Notably, the A6/1500 was originally equipped with wire wheels and three Weber 36 DO2 carburetors, a highly prized specification, as most examples were sold with solid steel wheels and a single carburetor. It is believed that just 10 A6/1500s were factory-equipped with this three-carburetor configuration, which greatly enhanced performance.
In May 1949, the A6 showcased its thoroughbred pedigree when it achieved a 1st in Class finish at the prestigious Coppa Inter-Europa, an annual race for sports and GT cars held at Monza. The Maserati’s driver at this important race was none other than Franco Bordoni.
Bordoni was born in Milan in 1913. His grandfather was Felice Bisleri, creator of the popular Italian amaro brand Ferro-China-Bisleri, whose logo featured a roaring lion and the word Robur (“strength” in Latin), which later became Bordoni’s nickname. Bordoni served as a fighter pilot with the Italian Royal Air Force during WWII. After the war, Bordoni took over the family business, became chairman of the Aeronautical Club of Milan, and started to race sports cars, debuting at the 1949 Mille Miglia in a Fiat.
He later raced Ferraris, OSCAs, and Gordinis, and, in 1953, won the Italian Sports Car Championship. Maserati recognized his talent behind the wheel, and had Bordoni drive 200S and 300S sports racers for the factory team in 1955.
In August 1950, after capturing another class win at the Coppa Inter-Europa and participating in the inaugural Giro Notturno del Lario (a timed rally held at night through the foothills surrounding Lake Como) the A6/1500 Coupe was officially sold to Bordoni.
In February 1951, Bordoni sold 060 to Fernando Segura, a resident of Bellaire, Texas, who had Pinin Farina and Maserati overhaul the car before exporting it to the US. The Maserati then remained in the Houston area for decades.
In 1998, the A6/1500 Coupe joined John F. Bookout’s distinguished stable of coachbuilt Maseratis. He quickly shipped it to Italy, where it was treated to a complete restoration. Overseen by Maserati historian Adolfo Orsi, respected marque specialists addressed every aspect of the A6 with the goal of returning the car to its original condition. During the disassembly process, undisturbed sections of light blue metallic paint were discovered throughout the bodywork, suggesting that this was in fact the car’s original color, not the Amaranto recorded in factory records. As such, the Pinin Farina Coupe was refinished in this elegant light blue, with the interior trimmed in cloth and leather as per original. Between 2003 and 2005, the engine (no. 085) was completely rebuilt by Candini in Modena. Several years ago, a previous owner located the original engine sump, correctly stamped 060, and this important component is included with the car’s sale. Since 2016, the car has been part of a carefully selected collection composed of the finest European sports cars.
Never before exhibited and beautifully presented after an exacting restoration, 060 is surely among the most significant examples of the original Maserati A6, given its rare three-carburetor specification, successful competition history, and connection to the famed Franco Bordoni. For collectors in search of a vintage Maserati, eligible for the most prestigious international concours and rally events, the appearance of this A6/1500 Coupe at auction presents a most exciting opportunity.