Chassis Number: AM101*1129
Original engine block sold with the car
Very rare five speed gearbox
The 3500 GT was produced in very high numbers for such an exclusive car and was indeed a huge commercial success.
The convertible version however, was not a spider version of the Touring bodied 3500 GT but a special design created by Vignale on a shorter chassis than the 3500 GT.
According Fabio Collina from the Maserati factory archives, chassis number 1129 was sold to a Mrs Teresa Mitarachi from London, U.K., she was of Greek origin and ordered the car in left hand drive.
It was also fitted with the optional Borrani wire wheels.
Mrs Mitarachi kept the car until 1977 when a Frank Wilbur bought the car from a dealer in the USA.
After Wilbur was too old to drive the car, it went through a couple of dealers and eventually, in 1988, it landed at Frank Mandarano´s MIE Corporation.
MIE then sold the car on to a Ivan Ruiz in Georgia.
Ruiz bought the car in bare metal from MIE and duly sent the car away for a 5-years restoration.
The restoration was completed in 1993 and the owner entered the car in many events and, amongst others, won a prize at the Amelia Island Concours d´Elegance.
The current owner bought the car in 2009 and even though the car was still very good condition he decided to send it to Maserati specialist, Ital-Auto, outside Stuttgart for a further restoration.
It was beautifully re-painted in black and the interior re-trimmed in its original black colour.
500-600 hours of work excluding the paintwork were carried out and about 100 hours were spent solely on cosmetic details.
The car is complete with all its tools, books and with factory hard-top. The engine mounted is not the original one. However, the car does come with the original matching number engine block as well. It was also originally fitted with a rare and very desirable 5-speed gearbox which gives the car significantly longer legs for a much more relaxed drive.
Maserati only made 242 examples of this great car.
Between 40 and 45 hard-tops were made by the factory, one was added on this car in 1988, making it even rarer and, a serious competitor for prizes in any Concours d'Elegance.