51 Years in present family ownership 1933 Lagonda 3-litre Silent Travel Saloon Registration no. APC 101 Chassis no. Z10271 Engine no. Z2043
Lagonda launched its new 3-litre model in September 1928, powered by a six cylinder in line, overhead valve engine of 2,931cc. The ZMBSST 24 model, as offered here, was a development of that car known as the Selector because of its pre-selector gearbox. By 1933 engine size had increased to 3,181cc, giving a top speed of about 85mph. The Silent Travel Saloon (ST24) was introduced for this chassis and featured four door pillarless coachwork, with rear hinged rear doors and a boot. The 'ski' running boards were a feature of this comprehensively equipped luxury saloon.
A dashboard plaque indicates that this car was supplied by Caffin, Wilkinson & Co.Ltd. of Hanover Square, London, and it was first registered with Surrey County Council on 10th February 1933. Its early history is unknown although there is some conjecture as to why it should have a gun holster by the driver's foot well! Lagonda Club records show that in 1954 it belonged to a Mr. Jackson of New Barn, Kent, later passing to Donald Stubbs of Billingham, Co. Durham, in 1959. In 1963 it passed to a John Michael Collins of Seaton Carew who sold it to vintage dealers Claude Allison and Jimmy Goddard of Marske-by-the Sea, who traded as Longbeck Sports Cars (a mecca for real car enthusiasts fifty years ago). The car's recently deceased enthusiast owner bought the car from Longbeck in August 1964 for £150 the receipt is on file. It is thought that he did little more than drive it into his garage, which it shared with his 1930s Austin 12; he reputedly had the cylinder block repaired and planned to get round to restoration "in due course". Sadly "in due course" never happened and the car has remained in store under cover for 51 years. The ravages of time have caught up with the car, however it remains eminently restorable, being complete in all major respects. Careful conservation should see the original interior furnishings come up well and although some re-timbering of the original coachwork will be required, that too should be saveable. Mechanical condition is unknown, although we understand it drove into its garage 51 years ago. The repairs to the aforementioned cylinder block look at best fragile and the car is sold as viewed.
This most exciting 'barn discovery', lost to the Lagonda Club since 1959, comes with old buff log book from 1961, a Swansea V5C registration document, its last MoT certificate from 1963, the purchase receipt from 1964 and an original instruction book.