1948 1948 Lagonda Aston Martin Lagonda

Zusammenfassung

  • Baujahr 
    1948
  • Automobiltyp 
    Sonstige
  • Chassisnummer 
    SCFDL01S56TL13466
  • Motornummer 
    V5853466FA
  • Losnummer 
    342
  • Lenkung 
    Rechts
  • Zustand 
    Gebraucht
  • Markenfarbe außen 
    Grey
  • Markenfarbe innen 
    Grey
  • Standort
  • Außenfarbe 
    Sonstige
  • Getriebe 
    Automatik

Beschreibung

The Aston Martin Lagonda was a luxury four-door saloon built by Aston Martin of Newport Pagnell, between 1976 and 1989. A total of 645 examples were produced at an average selling price of £150,000, and the name was derived from the Lagonda marque that Aston Martin had purchased in 1947. Aston Martin was facing severe financial pressure in the mid-1970s following the petrol crisis and the Lagonda was aimed predominantly at the US and Middle Eastern markets.

Traditionally, Aston Martin had created two door sports cars but the Lagonda was a four-door saloon utilizing the 5430cc, Tadek Merak designed V8 engine that powered the current Aston Martin V8 models. As soon as it was introduced, its dramatic looks attracted hundreds of deposits from potential customers and in so doing, helped Aston Martin's finances. The car was designed by William Towns in an extreme interpretation of the classic 1970's "folded paper" style. It was as unconventional a design then as it is now, and even today car enthusiasts are fiercely divided on the car's aesthetic value. Throughout the history of the marque, these hand-built Lagondas were amongst the most expensive saloons in the world. The only other "production" cars to approach its lofty price tag were from the stables of Rolls-Royce and Bentley.

The Lagonda was the first production car in the world to use computer management, a digital instrument panel and second series cathode ray tubes for the instrumentation. It combined striking styling with an opulent, 'members club' leather interior, and with its state-of-the-art instrument panel was a veritable spaceship. Coupled to a Chrysler 3-speed "TorqueFlite" automatic transmission, its quad cam carbureted V8 could provide massive linear thrust when required. The later Series 3 and all Series 4 models were fuel injected.

This left-hand drive example was completed by the factory on 31st December 1985 and was specially built for the 1986 New York Motor Show. It was displayed on the Aston Martin stand and sold to a Mr J. Schnepf of Newport Beach, California. He took delivery on 16th February 1987, and covered limited mileage during his ownership before it was imported to the Netherlands and registered there just prior to our vendor's purchase.

The car had been in dry storage for approximately three years and had been subject to the removal of some ignition components. The car was taken to Desmond J Smail's, one of the UK premier Aston Martin approved specialists, where it was subject to a comprehensive recommissioning and all items needing attention following its period of rest were seen too. This included: a new fuel pump, injectors, engine sensors, brake master cylinder etc, a copy of the bill of works is available on request. The car is now running and driving as it should and will be supplied with a current MoT certificate ready for UK registration. Desmond Smail and his team are acknowledged experts in these rather complex vehicles and he is able to provide a full condition report to prospective bidders.

Supplied with its original owner's handbook, wallet, significant recent servicing bills, and Dutch registration documents, this Lagonda is presented in the superb colour of dark Charcoal Grey with a matching grey interior. Reading just 31,000 miles, the car looks very original with no modifications from the factory specification. Interest in these dynamic Lagondas has certainly risen in recent years, as collectors acknowledge their limited production numbers, futuristic styling and advanced eighties technology. We encourage all pre-sale inspections and welcome bidders to contact the office for further details.

 

 

]]>