Guide price: ??45000 - ??55000.
- One of 88 XK150 'S' right-hand drive coupes, with a manual gearbox and overdrive
- Matching numbers, never been previously restored. In storage since 1975 and looks very original
- 'S' versions came with 210 and 250bhp respectively, the latter delivering an astonishing 0-60mph in 7.3 seconds and 136mph.
- A wonderful opportunity to return this highly original XK to the road
Introduced in the spring of 1957, the XK150 was available at first only in fixed and drophead coupé forms, the open roadster version not appearing until the following year. At 190bhp, the engine's maximum power output was identical to that of the XK140, so performance was little changed. 'Special Equipment' and 'S' versions came with 210 and 250bhp respectively, the latter delivering an astonishing 0-60mph time of 7.3 seconds and a top speed of 136mph. This was achieved by the introduction of the Weslake-developed 'straight-port' cylinder head, high-compression pistons, triple 2" SU carburettors and twin electric fuel pumps. Overdrive and a Borg-Warner automatic gearbox were the transmission options, the latter becoming an increasingly popular choice, while a Thornton Powr-Lok limited-slip differential was available for the XK150 'S'. Steel wheels remained the standard fitting, though XK150s so equipped are a great rarity, as most were sold in SE (Special Equipment) specification with centre-lock wire wheels. The much-admired chromed Jaguar mascot was made available as an optional extra on an XK for the first time. ‘YOP 911’ is a UK supplied, right-hand drive, 3.4-litre ‘S’ Fixedhead Coupe that was completed in February 1959 and finished in Cotswold Blue. This matching numbers example is equipped with the highly desirable manual/overdrive transmission and has the high rear axle ratio for ‘relaxed cruising’ at high speeds. The accompanying Heritage Certificate states that ‘T824946DN’ was sold through Jaguar main agents, P J Evans, to its first owner Mr J Kitchen of Sutton Coldfield. A number of owners enjoyed the car up to 1975 when it was taken off the road and its last tax disc, valid until December 1975, is still in place on the windscreen. ‘YOP 911’ remained in long term ownership before being acquired by our owner recently, in order to be fully restored. Unforeseen prior commitments now mean this extremely rare and special car is available once again on the open market. We are informed that it had been started periodically and has recently been tested at low speeds on private land. Interestingly never restored or had a colour change, the time has now come to fully return ‘T824946DN’ to its former glory. It is estimated that only 88 right-hand drive examples were built so this is an exciting opportunity to restore this highly original and rather rare Jaguar.