Single family ownership from new 1959 Jaguar XK150S 3.4-Litre Roadster Registration no. 7228 AH Chassis no. T820030BW Engine no. VS1873/9
What would turn out to be the final glorious incarnation of Jaguar's fabulous 'XK' series of sports cars arrived in 1957. As its nomenclature suggests, the XK150 was a progressive development of the XK120 and XK140, retaining the same basic chassis, 3.4-litre engine and four-speed Moss transmission of its predecessors while benefiting from a new, wider body that provided increased interior space and improved visibility courtesy of a single-piece wrap-around windscreen, replacing the XK140's divided screen. Cleverly, the new body used many XK120/140 pressings, the increased width being achieved by means of a 4"-wide central fillet. A higher front wing line and broader radiator grille were other obvious differences, but the new model's main talking point was its Dunlop disc brakes. Fade following repeated stops from high speed had been a problem of the earlier, drum-braked cars, but now the XK had stopping power to match its prodigious straight-line speed.
Introduced in the spring of 1957, the XK150 was available at first only in fixed and drophead coupé forms, the open roadster version not appearing until the following year. At 190bhp, the engine's maximum power output was identical to that of the XK140 so performance was little changed. 'Special Equipment' and 'S' versions came with 210 and 250bhp respectively. Overdrive and a Borg-Warner automatic gearbox were the transmission options, the latter becoming an increasingly popular choice, while a Thornton Powr-Lok limited-slip differential was available for the XK150S. Steel wheels remained the standard fitting, though XK150s so equipped are a great rarity as most were sold in SE (Special Equipment) specification with centre-lock wire wheels. The much-admired chromed Jaguar mascot was made available as an optional extra on an XK for the first time. 'The Jaguar XK150 is undeniably one of the world's fastest and safest cars. It is quiet and exceptionally refined mechanically, docile and comfortable... we do not know of any more outstanding example of value for money,' declared The Autocar.
A much sought after 'S' model, this XK150 roadster comes with Jaguar Heritage Certificate confirming that it left the factory in March 1959 equipped with the 3.4-litre engine and desirable manual/overdrive transmission. The car was delivered via Mann Egerton finished in Carmen Red with matching leather interior and black soft-top, its present colour scheme. Retaining matching chassis/engine numbers and its original Norfolk registration, '7228 AH' has been in single family ownership from new and comes with its original old-style buff logbook, the latter erroneously recording the engine capacity as 3,781cc.
We are advised the XK has been driven mostly in the dry, is not corroded in the usual places and is generally 'sound'; last taxed in 2004 and garage stored since then, it will have been re-commissioned prior to sale. The car is offered with the aforementioned logbook and Jaguar Heritage Certificate, sundry service invoices, V5 registration document and its original tool kit, PDI form, price list and owner's handbook. An electric windscreen washer and twin 12-volt batteries are the only notified deviations from factory specification.