1958 Jaguar XK 150OTS
- Markenfarbe außen
- Zahl der Sitze2
The introduction of the XK150 in 1957 marked the first significant redesign of the legendary XK line since the XK120 first appeared in 1948. Mechanically, the refinements made on the XK140 carried over to the new model, with the two cars sharing the same 3.4-liter twin-cam inline-six, independent front suspension, Salisbury rear axle, and rack and pinion steering. New for the 150, however, was Dunlop’s four-wheel disc brake system, pioneered by the C-Type and perfected on the D-Type at Le Mans. While these were indeed significant improvements, the biggest news was the redesigned body. Practically since day-one, buyers complained of tight quarters in the XK. The substantially redesigned XK150 finally put those complaints to rest thanks to a wider body that translated into a much roomier cockpit. The new styling was quite different from the previous models, yet it was unmistakable as a Jaguar while giving the XK-line a fresh new look for the 1960s. In keeping with tradition, Jaguar offered XK150 in three body styles: An open two-seat roadster, drophead coupe, or fixed-head coupe.
At first, it seemed that the XK150 got off to a rough start. A factory fire in February 1957 delayed production and the marginally heavier coachwork softened the performance slightly on the earliest press-fleet cars. Jaguar quickly responded by adding the Special Equipment package with a revised cylinder head and dual exhaust, boosting output by 20 to 210 horsepower and 216 ft.lbs of torque. The option proved so popular that it became, in essence, the standard XK150 and some experts believe almost no “standard” models were sold to the general public. Sales soon perked up as buyers responded well to the modernized styling, improved comfort, and stellar performance. Produced through early 1961, XK150 sales were up slightly over the XK140. Ultimately, the XK150 proved to be a fitting swansong to the legendary XK line, setting the stage for the arrival of Jaguar’s next sensational sports car, the E-Type.
Presented in classic Old English White over a red cockpit, this 1958 Jaguar XK150 OTS is a lovely, well-maintained example and a veteran of numerous tours in the US and Europe. The Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust Certificate shows this car first arrived in the US in April 1958 with the original owner listed as Harold Holt of St. Petersburg, Florida. The history picks up again in the early 1990s, with the car still in Florida and then in the hands of a Mr. P. O’Connell. He commissioned an extensive, well-detailed restoration to factory standards. Records show the bulk of the work took place beginning around 1993, which included a full body restoration, new interior, restored chrome, and mechanical overhaul. In 1995, O’Connell sold the car to the most recent owner, who took great pride in showing and driving the XK150 in JCNA events around the country in the mid-1990s. Accompanying judging sheets show the car was a consistent high-scorer during that period, with multiple 99-plus point finishes in JCNA concours competition. With concours success under his belt, the owner then took to enjoying the XK150 on tours and rallies, accumulating over 25,000 miles of driving around the United States and in Europe. During his twenty-four years of ownership, the owner entrusted the highly respected Jaguar specialists at JK Restorations in Oswego, IL to maintain this XK in top running condition. Records show a continuous history of regular service, including an engine rebuild by JK Restorations in 2003.
Today, the XK150 roadster presents in excellent condition, with a pleasing patina from years of care and on-road enjoyment. The white paintwork shows well, with a glossy finish on the well-aligned body panels and just some slight checking beginning to appear. A few minor stone chips are visible on close inspection, which adds an appealing character to the car, inviting regular use. Bumpers and other plated parts are excellent, as are the chrome wire wheels and Vredestein Sprint Classic radial tires.
Red leather trim is faithful to original specification, and the cockpit features correct materials and fittings. For the XK150 roadster, Jaguar finally eschewed the fiddly side curtains in favor of more practical roll-up glass side windows. The cabin is also considerably roomier than earlier cars, making the XK150 the driver’s choice for long-distance grand touring. This car’s red leather is in great condition, with moderate creasing on the seats coming with regular enjoyment on the road and proper, professional care. Carpets, dash covering, and door panels are all excellent, and the black canvas top is in good order. Also included is a full tonneau cover for overnight stops, along with a factory tool kit, jack, and hammer which accompany the history file.
Under-bonnet presentation is very clean and consistent with a former show car that since been driven on the road. The pale green paint on the cylinder head denotes this as a standard 3.4-liter model, and this car retains its numbers-matching original block and head. Cam covers and carburetors are nicely polished and detailed with chrome acorn nuts as original. Twin SU carburetors breathe through the factory-correct air cleaner housing. Other proper details include the glass washer bottle, radiator hoses, and wiring loom.
This XK150 OTS is a lovely example that benefits from years of expert care in the hands of a dedicated enthusiast. Finished in attractive colors and with the benefit of matching numbers engine, original tools, and extensive service history, this is the ideal choice for enthusiastic use on Jaguar Club tours and a wide range of rallies and road events.