1958 Jaguar XK150 3.8-Litre Coupé Registration no. to be advised Chassis no. S835746DN Engine no. to be advised
What would turn out to be the final glorious incarnation of Jaguar's fabulous 'XK' series of sports cars arrived in 1957. As its nomenclature suggests, the XK150 was a progressive development of the XK120 and XK140, retaining the same basic chassis, 3.4-litre engine and four-speed Moss transmission of its predecessors while benefiting from a new, wider body that provided increased interior space and improved visibility courtesy of a single-piece wrap-around windscreen, replacing the XK140's divided screen. Cleverly, the new body used many XK120/140 pressings, the increased width being achieved by means of a 4"-wide central fillet. A higher front wing line and broader radiator grille were other obvious differences, but the new model's main talking point was its Dunlop disc brakes. Fade following repeated stops from high speed had been a problem of the earlier, drum-braked cars, but now the XK had stopping power to match its prodigious straight-line speed.
Introduced in the spring of 1957, the XK150 was available at first only in fixed and drophead coupé forms, the open roadster version not appearing until the following year. At 190bhp, the engine's maximum power output was identical to that of the XK140 so performance was little changed. 'Special Equipment' and 'S' versions came with 210 and 250bhp respectively. Overdrive and a Borg-Warner automatic gearbox were the transmission options, the latter becoming an increasingly popular choice, while a Thornton Powr-Lok limited-slip differential was available also. Steel wheels remained the standard fitting, though XK150s so equipped are a great rarity, as most were sold in SE (Special Equipment) specification with centre-lock wire wheels. The much-admired chromed Jaguar mascot was made available as an optional extra on an XK for the first time.
Originally a 3.4-litre model, this XK150 Coupé was supplied new via Jaguar Cars, New York and first owned by one J Seaman. It was a 'Personal Export Delivery' and was registered in the UK as 'UWK 270' prior to despatch to the USA. It is not known when it was converted to right-hand drive. An Australian advertisement on file, dated May 2014, states that the engine (from a MkIX saloon) and gearbox (an all-synchromesh unit) were fully restored in 2011 and that the car had seen relatively little use over the preceding five years. The current vendor purchased the XK from Australia and imported it into the UK earlier this year. Import duties have been paid and the car comes with a Jaguar Heritage Trust Certificate.