1954 Jaguar XK 120OTS
AutomobiltypConvertible / Roadster
MotornummerF 4039 8S
Markenfarbe außenOrient Red
Anzahl der Türen2
Zahl der Sitze2
Leistung118 kW / 161 PS / 159 BHP
The XK120 was launched as a roadster version at the London Motor Show on 27 October 1948 as a test vehicle . The intent of the presentation was also to propose a car, for demonstration purposes, that would have the new Jaguar XK6 engine. However, the model aroused a lot of interest and aroused many positive comments, which convinced William Lyons to produce it in series.
The figure “120” in the model name referred to the 120 mph (193 km / h) top speed achieved with the windshield installed (no front glass the speed was higher), making the XK120, at the time of its launch, the car fastest standard production in the world .
It was available in two open versions, roadster (called “OTS”, from English, Open Two Seater, meaning “open two seats”) and convertible (“DHC”, from “drophead coupé”; it was offered since November 1952), as well as a closed, ie coupé (“FHC”, from “fixed-head coupé”; it was available from 1951). The convertible and the coupe had a briar dashboard. All three versions were two-seater.
The first 242 examples, all roadsters, were built by hand from 1948 to 1950. They had an aluminum body and a frame with side and cross members, which was derived from that of the Mark V and was made of ash wood. When the model went into series production in 1950, the body was made of steel with the aim of keeping costs down. The doors, the front hood, and the rear one remained in aluminum.
With an alloy cylinder head, double SU carburetors and a double overhead camshaft, the 3.4L in-line six-cylinder Jaguar XK6 engine was technologically advanced at the time, compared to the power units installed in other cars. standard. Thanks also to a compression ratio of 8: 1 it produced 160 HP of power . An engine with a 7: 1 compression ratio was also available, which was suitable for running on lower quality fuel. The mechanics of this engine, subsequently modified in the 3.8 L and 4.2 L versions, would have survived until the 1980s.
All the XK120 specimens had independent torsion bar suspensions with deformable wishbones at the front, while a rigid axle with semi-elliptical leaf springs was installed at the rear (both the front and rear suspensions derived from the Mark V). In addition, a ball-bearing steering with telescopic steering column and drum brakes were installed on the four wheels which were however subject to fading, i.e. fatigue after intense use, for example on the track, which caused the brakes to temporarily lose. their effectiveness. To avoid this last problem, some examples were equipped with Alfin drums (acronym of ALuminium FINned, that is with aluminum fins).
The roadster’s canvas top and separable side windows stowed away behind the seats, and its boat-style doors had no outside handles; instead there was a cable to pull, which could be operated from the outside by means of a tab in the side windows, when the car was in closed configuration. The windshield could be removed to make room for individual slides.
The convertible had a padded canvas top, which folded down behind the seats, and drop-down windows with opening deflectors. A two-piece flat windshield was installed, mounted on a frame integrated into the car body and painted in the same color as the latter. The inside of the convertible and coupé doors were covered with briar wood, while the more spartan roadsters were lined with leather. All models had fairing rear wheel arches which were removable to give the car a more aerodynamic look. On specimens equipped with spoked wheels with wing nut (available from 1951), the fairing wheel arches were not installed to provide space for the chrome-plated Rudge-Whitworth twin wing nut.
On the SE versions (ie Special Equipment, that is, in English, “Special Equipment”), in addition to the spoked wheels, the equipment also included more rigid suspension, a more powerful engine and a double exhaust system.
All versions had front-mounted engine and rear-wheel drive. Motion was transmitted to the wheels via a 4-speed manual gearbox with optional overdrive.
The XK120s recorded numerous records in the oval of the elevated track in the oval of the elevated track of the Montlhéry circuit, near Paris.
In 1950 an XK120 driven by Leslie Johnson and Stirling Moss was driven for 24 hours at an average speed of 172.94km / h, including time to stop for fuel and tires. In 1951, the same car traveled 212.16 km in an hour, while the following year an XK120 coupe traveled at an average speed of 161.43 km / h for 7 days and 7 nights.
This XK 120 roadster was delivered to Max Hoffman in New York on the 31st August 1954. After a number of US owners the car was imported into Italy in 1988. There the XK underwent a complete and thorough restoration. It then participated in a number of classic car events. The “matching numbers” as well as the original shade of color are confirmed with a Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust certificate. A much coveted FIVA ID is with the car as is the Italian ASI document. During the Mille Miglia 2019 the XK received the honor of being accepted into the “Registro Mille Miglia”. This should virtually guarantee a future Mille Miglia entry. Currently period correct sports-seats are installed with the original seats supplied with the car. The roadster is in very good condition and drives impeccably. This wonderful Jaguar still has its Italian registration
Asi Gold Plate
Registered in the 1000 Miglia Register
Red exterior color, leather interior
Participation in 1000 Miglia editions 2015 and 2019
Jaguar Heritage Certification