French title Tipo 128 C - Very sound Californian base - Carefiully restored - Rare model - Elegant car, brilliant and underestimated It is interesting to note that Ferrari models, over the years, have often become known by names unrelated to their official factory names. The coachbuilder Pininfarina created several coupés for the marque on the base of the 250 GT, but only one was known as the Pininfarina coupé, which was the model built between 1958 and 1960. At the end of the 1950s, a replacement for the existing " production " Ferrari 250 GT coupé Pininfarina Boano and Ellena was needed. By then, Pininfarina was almost the only coachbuilder working for Enzo Ferrari, who was unhappy with Vignale's artisanal methods. He became more and more convinced that the coachbuilder from Turin was the only one close to operating on industrial scale. This is the model that catapulted Ferrari from being a small operation to a manufacturer on an industrial scale. Unveiled in June 1958 and officially launched at the Paris Motor Show in October, the 250 GT Pinin Farina set the path for the 1960s and increased production at Maranello by 75% that year. It received the V12 " Columbo " engine, with ignition in the centre of the V for the first 200 examples. In total, 350 examples of this prestigious car were built, but survivors are rare, with just 151 examples believed to exist today. The Pinin Farina series 1 coupé represents the genesis of the greatest road-going Ferrari. Its restrained styling makes it a perfect gentleman's car, combining elegance with fine engineering. The car in the sale, originally black, was imported from California in 1990 by the missed Pierre Landereau, a motor car and bike racer who dealt in sports and racing cars for nearly 50 years. Landereau then sold the Ferrari to the current owner, who undertook a comprehensive restoration. The body was stripped and no sign of accident or corrosion was found. The underbody and interior of the front wings were still coated with the original asphalt-based paint, which is rare, particularly in the engine compartment. This is one of the last to be equipped with all-round drum brakes, narrow front track and 16' wheels with Pirelli tyres. The car has four Houdaille shock absorbers. The manual gearbox was refurbished and resealed and works beautifully. The engine, rebuilt during the restoration, between 1995 and 1997, should be a 250 with inside spark plugs, but it is equipped with an excellent outside plug engine that, according to the owner, came from a 250 PF coupé series 2 . An Ansa exhaust system, as would have been in the car originally, has been fitted. This is one of the rare surviving examples of this model, four serial numbers of the last series 1, with a purity of shape, exhilarating sound and a brilliant performance that saw it rule the road in its day.