1910 Brasier 11/15 HP

12HP Double Phaéton

Zusammenfassung

  • Baujahr 
    1910
  • Kilometerstand 
    1 000 km / 622 mi
  • Automobiltyp 
    Cabriolet / Roadster
  • Losnummer 
    1
  • Referenznummer 
    1
  • Lenkung 
    Links
  • Zustand 
    Originalzustand
  • Innenfarbe 
    Schwarz
  • Anzahl der Türen 
    4
  • Zahl der Sitze 
    4
  • Standort
  • Außenfarbe 
    Grün
  • Getriebe 
    Schaltgetriebe
  • Antrieb 
    Zweirad
  • Kraftstoff 
    Benzin

Beschreibung

Rare pre-World War I 4 cylinder engine
Complete original accessories
Numerous period documents
Beautiful patina
French title

The four-leaf clover, a rare herb with a reputation for bringing good luck, was chosen by George Richard and his brother to symbolise their bicycle factory at the end of the 19th century. Very quickly prosperous, the Richard brothers turned to the manufacture of "horse-free cycles" of which their first was driven by a small single-cylinder developing 3.5 horses and which can be considered as their first car produced between 1896 and 1902 under the name of Pony.

For his part, Charles-Henri Brasier, a young industrial draughtsman who had just graduated from the Arts et Métiers school in Chalons, was a draughtsman for the Mors car factory at the dawn of the 20th century. Qualified as intelligent and ingenious, Brasier will put his talent at the service of the company by developing the first 4-cylinder V engine with breaker ignition that can be placed under the bonnet of a car. In view of these mechanical advances, Mors decided to enter his cars in competitions and commissioned Brasier to motorise them. After many successes, Braiser and Mors had some conflicts of interest, notably due to the fact that Charles-Henri demanded increasingly powerful cars; these events led to Brasier's resignation from the Mors company in 1901, from which date Mors would no longer have any competitive victories.

The fates of Brasier and Richard crossed in 1902 when Charles-Henri Brasier teamed up with the Richard brothers in their car company now known as Richard-Brasier. Several cars will see the light of day after this union but without standing out from the competition and still very attached to the design of Panhard-Levassor, the company in which Brasier was employed at the beginning of his career. Major studies were then undertaken by Richard-Brasier to develop a certain number of mechanical patents in 1903 such as a spray carburettor with automatic adjustment to deliver a constant flow of petrol into the engine; it is thanks to these ingenious patents that the company would be successful.

Thanks to the development of more powerful cars for competition, Richard-Brasier entered the Gordon-Benett race in 1904 and 1905, considered to be the most prestigious championship, the brand won the two consecutive seasons with Léon Théry as driver.

Richard, seriously injured during a Paris-Madrid race in 1903, left Brasier alone in the company during his convalescence. Richard's absence and the worldwide renown of the brand following his victories benefited Brasier, who was appointed head of the brand, breaking his contract with Richard and keeping the original factory in Ivry-Port as well as the clover emblem, even though Richard had registered it. The divorce is pronounced in 1905 and both parties take each other to court for usurpation of name; Richard wins the lawsuits but he will never use his name again. Brasier will rename the company "Sociétés des Automobiles Brasier" and Richard will create the Unic brand.

In 1908, 6 models were available for order at Brasier. The customer had to choose a chassis and engine, and then, separately, a body at extra cost. The available power ranges from 15hp to 9,500 francs to 60hp to 25,000 francs, and 6 types of bodywork are offered:
-Double Phaeton
-Phaeton 1/2 Limousine
-Limousine
-Landaulet Limousine
-3/4 landaulet
-Sedan

A real time machine, this 12HP Brasier with double-phaeton body was ordered in 1910 by Mr Joseph Germain, living in the Villa Claire in the Pont Vivaux district of Marseille, for a total of 11,300 francs. We still have the trace of this first owner on file thanks to the original traffic permits issued by the city in 1920 and 1924 as well as a period postcard depicting two men and this Brasier. Now in the same family for some forty years, the car was the object of great care taken to preserve as many original elements as possible. Thus, all the period brass accessories are in their place, no modern elements have been added to the vehicle. However, some parts were modernised so that the Brazier could be regularly used as the front seat. Being the subject of numerous press cuttings, we have recovered an important record of everything that was said, photographed and written on the car. Thus, you will find a complete double page test of the LVA newspaper of August 3, 1989 perfectly preserved by its owner, you will also find a large number of mechanical manuals on this model. More rare, two copies of the "Gospel of the four-leaf clover" published by Brasier and delivered with the car in perfect original condition are also in the file. The 4-cylinder 4-litre 8-valve engine was completely overhauled by "Rectification 2000" in the Hauts de Seine. The liners and pistons were remanufactured as identical, the 8 valve seats were rectified for a total cost of 9 100 €.

During our road test, we were able to appreciate a car that starts easily despite appearances, that holds idle and that drives in a modern enough way for its age. This is a great opportunity to acquire a historic part that automatically puts a smile on the faces of the people you will meet!