1958 Bentley S Series

Zusammenfassung

  • Baujahr 
    1958
  • Chassisnummer 
    B49FD
  • Motornummer 
    BF349
  • Losnummer 
    168
  • Lenkung 
    Links
  • Zustand 
    Gebraucht
  • Zahl der Sitze 
    2
  • Standort
  • Außenfarbe 
    Sonstige
  • Antrieb 
    Zweirad
  • Kraftstoff 
    Benzin

Beschreibung

1958 Bentley S-Series Sports Saloon
Registration no. VXK 10
Chassis no. B49FD
Engine no. BF349

'The Bentley "S" Series is a very attractive car with superb lines, appearance and finish. It costs a lot of money, but to the connoisseur who must have the best it is worth every penny. It is schemed to require the very minimum of attention over large mileages, but it has the famed Rolls-Royce service behind it when any attention is required. This will still be a glorious car in 45 years' time, just as my own 1911 Silver Ghost is today.' - John Bolster, Autosport, 1956.

Conceived as replacements for the ageing Rolls-Royce Silver Dawn and Bentley R-Type, the all-new Silver Cloud and Bentley S-Series were introduced early in 1955. The duo sported sleeker bodywork on a new box-section separate chassis - Rolls-Royce eschewing unitary construction for the time being - incorporating improved brakes and suspension, the latter featuring electrically controlled damping. Enlargement to 4,887cc and the adoption of a six-port cylinder head boosted the traditionally undisclosed power output of the dependable inlet-over-exhaust six-cylinder engine, which for the first time was identical in specification in its Rolls and Bentley forms. Automatic transmission was now standard equipment, with manual transmission a Bentley-only option up to 1957. Fast - 100mph-plus - relatively economical and cheaper to maintain than the successor V8-engined versions, the classically elegant 'S1' is arguably the most user-friendly of all post-war Bentleys.

This Bentley S-Series was delivered to The Car Mart Ltd of Park Lane, London W1 on 16th September 1958 and presumably was kept as a demonstrator as it was not sold on until 28th February 1959, the new owner being recorded on the accompanying copy chassis card as Chapman & Frearson Ltd of Grimsby, Lincolnshire. The car was purchased by the current owner in April 1969 and was last used regularly in the 1970s for trips to Spain. It has been garage stored since then, the last excursion of note being a 10-mile drive undertaken in 2003. The Bentley is described as in generally sound condition, though the roof lining has been damaged by mice. We are advised that it starts and runs but has only been driven out of and back into the garage in recent years. Offered in need of re-commissioning and sold strictly as viewed, the car comes with tool kit, old-style logbook and V5 registration document.