1937 Bentley 4 1/4 Litre

ex Maharaja de Cooch-Behar

Zusammenfassung

  • Baujahr 
    1937
  • Automobiltyp 
    Cabriolet / Roadster
  • Chassisnummer 
    B192JD
  • Lenkung 
    Links
  • Zustand 
    Restauriert
  • Innenfarbe 
    Grau
  • Innenausstattung 
    Leder
  • Anzahl der Türen 
    4
  • Zahl der Sitze 
    5
  • Standort
  • Außenfarbe 
    Blau
  • Getriebe 
    Schaltgetriebe
  • Leistung 
    97 kW / 132 PS / 130 BHP
  • Antrieb 
    Zweirad
  • Kraftstoff 
    Benzin

Beschreibung

Engine 6 cylinder in-líne
Displacement 4.257 cc
Maximum power 130 HP
Maximum speed 160 km/h
Curb weight 1.700 kg
Coachwork type Phaeton alll-weather Thrupp & Maberly
Chassis number B192JD
Country of origin UK
Number built 1.234
Production span 1936-1939

In 1931, the brand founded eleven years earlier by W.O. Bentley was acquired by Rolls-Royce, who would spend 24 months creating a sports model aimed to retain the traditional clientele of Cricklewood's house. Thus was born in October 1933 the first Bentley built in the Derby factory, the 3½-Liter - called "the Silent Sport" - whose chassis derives from the Rolls-Royce 20/25’s. In 1936 its engine’s displacement was increased to 4¼ liters and the result is one of the most desirable vehicles of all time. Its reputation has been growing up to the point that the Bentleys made in Derby are today considered the best pre-war classics for their power, stability and design.

The heart of this automobile is its six-cylinder in-line head-valve engine feed by two SU carburettors. It has a cast iron block and head, with aluminium crankcases. The transmission comes with a 4-gear box. The suspension is by semi-elliptical springs on both axes, and has servo-assisted drum brakes on all four wheels. Its interesting acceleration and good top speed makes it the ideal car for travelling.

This unit’s first owner was Jagaddipendra Narayan Bhup Bahadur, Maharaja of Cooch-Behar (an ancient kingdom of Northeastern India) who acquired it after taking power following his mother's regency. Its chassis was sent to Thrupp and Maberly - supplier to the Crown - with the order to build a 4-door phaeton all-weather body in full aluminium; that is, a convertible with four doors articulated in the central pillars fitted with descending lateral glass windows. With this type of bodywork (B1075 / E4) only five units would be manufactured.

After the Maharaja, who died in 1970, the Bentley had two other owners before becoming part of our collection. It is kept in a totally original state and retains its factory mechanical components (including the motor nº 8BU), tools, maintenance books and complete history. The right combination of the body and hood in dark blue with gray leather seats and walnut finish gives it a unique elegance.