1926 Bentley 3 Litre
Zahl der Sitze2
1926 Bentley 3-Litre Speed Model Sports Tourer
Registration no. YN 9348 (see text)
Chassis no. SR1421
With characteristic humility 'W O' was constantly amazed by the enthusiasm of later generations for the products of Bentley Motors Limited, and it is testimony to the soundness of his engineering design skills that so many of his products have survived. From the humblest of beginnings in a mews garage off Baker Street, London in 1919 the Bentley rapidly achieved fame as an exciting fast touring car, well able to compete with the best of European and American sports cars in the tough world of motor sport in the 1920s. Bentley's domination at Le Mans in 1924, 1927, 1928, 1929 and 1930 is legendary, and one can only admire the Herculean efforts of such giants as Woolf Barnato, Jack Dunfee, Tim Birkin and Sammy Davis, consistently wrestling the British Racing Green sports cars to victory.
W O Bentley proudly unveiled the new 3-litre car bearing his name on Stand 126 at the 1919 Olympia Motor Exhibition, the prototype engine having fired up for the first time just a few weeks earlier. Bentley's four-cylinder 'fixed head' engine incorporated a single overhead camshaft, four-valves per cylinder and a bore/stroke of 80x149mm. Twin ML magnetos provided the ignition and power was transmitted via a four-speed gearbox with right-hand change. The pressed-steel chassis started off with a wheelbase of 9' 9½", then adopted dimensions of 10' 10" ('Standard Long') in 1923, the shorter frame being reserved for the Tourist Trophy Replica and subsequent Speed Model. Rear wheel brakes only were employed up to 1924 when four-wheel Perrot-type brakes were introduced.
In only mildly developed form, this was the model that was to become a legend in motor racing history and which, with its leather-strapped bonnet, classical radiator design and British Racing Green livery, has become the archetypal Vintage sports car.
Early success in the 1922 Isle of Man Tourist Trophy, when Bentleys finished second, fourth, and fifth to take the Team Prize, led to the introduction of the TT Replica (later known as the Speed Model) on the existing 9' 9½" wheelbase, short standard chassis. Identified by the Red Label on its radiator, the Speed Model differed by having twin SU 'Sloper' carburettors, a higher compression ratio, different camshaft, and the close-ratio A-type gearbox, the latter being standard equipment prior to 1927 when the C-type 'box was adopted. These engine changes increased maximum power from the standard 70 to 80bhp and raised top speed to an impressive 90mph. Other enhancements included the larger (11-gallon) fuel tank and (usually) André Hartford shock absorbers. Bentley made approximately 1,600 3-Litre models, the majority of which was bodied by Vanden Plas with either open tourer or saloon coachwork.
This 3-Litre Speed Model left the works in April 1926 fitted with a four-seater body by Vanden Plas. The car was first registered as 'YN 9348' and sold new to a Mr CG Blaxter. At time of cataloguing little had come to light concerning its subsequent history. However, on file is a copy of a 1970s BDC Review's report on a visit to Tony Townsend's Elmdown Engineering, which included a photograph of 'YN 9348'. The car was described as "Complete rebuild and new body, etc, 71. Owner: David Burrows. Car now in for 500 miles check over and service".
Also on file are invoices dating from 2013/2014 issued by Gentry Engineering of Worminghall, Buckinghamshire for various works including a full engine rebuild (perusal recommended). The car also comes with a Society of Automotive Historians dating letter. In recent years the Bentley has been domiciled abroad, and prospective UK-based purchasers are advised to consult the DVLA with regard to the availability or not of the original registration 'YN 9348'.