1963 Austin Mini Cooper S Registration no. not UK registered Chassis no. C-A2S7/384499
Alec Issigonis's ingenious Mini debuted in 1959 and soon showed itself to have considerable competition potential which was realised to great effect by Grand Prix-winning constructor John Cooper. The resultant Mini Cooper was launched in 1961 with an enlarged engine, twin SU carburettors, close ratio gearbox and front disc brakes, proving very successful in British saloon car racing and rallying. In 1963 the Mini Cooper S was introduced with a more powerful engine of 1071cc and improved brakes, going on to win the Monte Carlo Rallies of 1964, 1965 and 1967.
The Austin Mini Cooper S offered here left the factory on 6 September 1963 and was UK registered in Birmingham. The car is stated to have had the body restored and engine rebuilt by a previous owner between 1984 and 1990, and then, moving to a new owner, the restoration was extended to create a replica of a Monte Carlo Rally Mini Cooper S, reputedly incorporating rally equipment from Rauno Aaltonen's Cooper S (277 EBL) which took part in the 1964 Rally and was subsequently written-off by Pauline Mayman. In 1996 the car was sold to the founder and long-term president of the German Mini Cooper classic club where it received a FIVA Identity Certificate recording the modifications made to 1964 Monte Carlo Rally specification including sporting seats, sump-guard, double fuel tanks, spare wheel holders, competition exhaust and roof-mounted spotlight and a number of details such as the original Heuer Monte Carlo stop watches. Between 2013 and 2018 the car was displayed in a private collection in Sweden and is now described as being in excellent condition mechanically and structurally, paintwork is said to be good and showing a nice patina with an excellent interior. A comprehensive history file including FIVA and BMIHT certificates, photographs from the restoration (and a number of participated events) and an old UK V5C accompanies the car.