Announced at the 1965 London Motor Show, the new convertible Aston Martin on the latest DB6 platform was the first to carry the now familiar name ‘Volante’.
Aston Martin built 140 DB6 Volantes, 68 of which were fitted with the Borg Warner three-speed automatic transmission, a popular no-cost option.
THIS MOTOR CAR
According to a copy of the build sheet that accompanies the car, chassis DBVC/3636/R was delivered new to WS Giles, Greystones, The Ridgeway, Cuffley, Herts in June 1967, the car was registered OMF 367E which it still carries.
As delivered, ‘3636’ was finished in Dubonnet Rosso with Natural Connolly leather interior and like all regular Volantes it was equipped with a power hood. Extras included chrome spoked wheels with triple ear spinners, a power aerial and the factory’s excellent hydraulic power steering.
In recent years the previous owner commissioned a full respray of the car in discreet Dark Blue and the interior was retrimmed to a high standard in Tan.
Marque specialist Aston Engineering have only recently completed over £24,000 worth of work to the car that included:
• Service work to carburettors.
• New water pump, new thermostat, work to radiator ducting
• Re-torque cylinder head, fit new sump bolts.
• Overhaul transmission with new torque converter bolts and tabs, install exchange propshaft, change differential oil, renew pinion oil seal
• Strip front suspension and lower steering column.
• Rebuild front suspension with freshly powder coated/zinc-plated components, new rubber bushes, new Koni dampers, new performance springs and anti-roll bar.
• Strip, clean and rebuild front hubs and brake discs, replace rear springs with performance type, clean, repaint and set up rear dampers
• Cut out and fit new left-hand and right-hand front outriggers.
• Carry out additional corrosion repairs to left- hand front floor and chassis leg.
• Install new pedal box floor, sealed and painted, with new rubber covering to floor area.
• Remove and replace rear exhaust section, refit original tail pipes with new clamps.
• Carry out four wheel alignment.
• Supply new tool roll with copper mallet.
With summer beckoning, this DB6 Volante represents an extremely rare opportunity to own an absolutely beautiful convertible Aston Martin, fresh from extensive service work by one of the world’s pre-eminent Aston specialists.