1964 Aston Martin DB5
1964 Aston Martin DB5 4.2-Litre Sports Saloon
Registration no. AJW 646B
Chassis no. DB5/1614/R
Its accompanying copy guarantee form reveals that chassis number '1614/R' was delivered new on 11th June 1964 to Cyril Williams Motors Ltd. The DB5 was delivered finished in Sierra Blue with Fawn Connolly hide trim, and left the factory equipped with a limited-slip differential and heated rear screen. First registered as 'AJW 646B', the Aston had been purchased by Messrs William Sharp (Birmingham) Ltd for a Mr Horton, presumably one of its directors. The AMOC Register records two Belfry Concours awards for the DB5 while it was in Mr Horton's ownership (in 1966 and 1968).
The Horton family subsequently relocated to the Isle of Man where the car was reregistered as '1964 MN'. In May 2005, after a remarkable 41 years in the Horton family's ownership, the DB5 was purchased from them by Mr David Campbell, whose various addresses are recorded on accompanying documents as Onchan, Isle of Man; Helen's Bay, County Down, NI; and Dublin, RoI. While in the Hortons' ownership, the Aston had been looked after (from approximately 1970) by renowned marque specialist, Andy Chapman, whose recollections of it are on file. A re-spray in original livery had been carried out at approximately 60-70,000 miles, but no mechanical work was undertaken until David Campbell took the DB5 to renowned marque specialists Post Vintage Engineers Ltd in 2005. Post Vintage looked after the car subsequently, as evidenced by numerous invoices on file, one of their first tasks being to overhaul the cylinder head and convert it to accept unleaded fuel. Prior to his purchase, David Campbell had had the DB5 inspected by Colin Thew, former Service Manager with Aston Martin, whose detailed report, describing it as in generally very good condition, is on file.
Post Vintage's association with the Aston, now reunited with its original registration, 'AJW 646B', continued when ownership passed to Mr Peter Mimpriss of Nayland, Suffolk in September 2009. Prior to Mr Mimpriss taking delivery, Post Vintage had rebuilt the engine, enlarging it to 4.2 litres capacity in the process, and fitted air conditioning (illustrated record on file). In letters to Post Vintage's Managing Director, Adrian Johnson, Mr Mimpriss was able to report that the DB5 had 'performed faultlessly' for the entire 1,750 miles of the 2010 AMOC Tour of Spain, and also for the 2,000 miles of that year's NATO Tour of Northern England and Scotland.
Shortly thereafter, ownership passed to Mr Michael Wilson of Lytham, Lancashire. Power assisted steering was fitted by Aston Engineering Ltd of Derby in April 2014, but apart from that, Post Vintage Engineers Ltd continued to maintain and service the car. Works carried out in April 2015 include an interior re-trim to original specification in Connolly hide; supplying and fitting a new rear bumper, re-chroming the front grille and front bumper; and replacing all window glass. A further service was carried out in March 2016.
The Aston was acquired by the current vendor in June 2018, since when it has been kept in a dehumidified motor house. The most recent service/works, including attention to a leak from the differential, were undertaken by marque specialists Chicane Classics. MoT'd to November 2021, this exceptional car comes complete with its original jack and tool kit; instruction book; and a UK V5C Registration Certificate. Benefiting from long-term single family ownership - always well maintained and never requiring extensive restoration - this superb DB5 is worthy of the closest inspection.