1964 Aston Martin DB5

Zusammenfassung

  • Baujahr 
    1964
  • Chassisnummer 
    DB5/1560/R
  • Motornummer 
    400/1548
  • Losnummer 
    211
  • Lenkung 
    Links
  • Zustand 
    Gebraucht
  • Zahl der Sitze 
    2
  • Standort
  • Außenfarbe 
    Sonstige
  • Antrieb 
    Zweirad
  • Kraftstoff 
    Benzin

Beschreibung

1964 Aston Martin DB5 4.2-Litre Sports Saloon
Registration no. to be advised
Chassis no. DB5/1560/R
Engine no. 400/1548

'Like all classic GT cars, it combines enormous speed with comfort and the more you put into your driving, the more the car returns for your entertainment. And the DB5 really is entertaining to anyone who can exploit its outstanding performance, handling and brakes. It will also carry four people (just) and a fair amount of luggage so the merits of family transport (if need be) have not been entirely sacrificed to speed and elegant looks.' – Motor.

Introduced in July 1963, the Aston Martin DB5 represented a further evolution of the preceding DB4 series rather than the beginning of an entirely new model line. The major change was the adoption of a 4.0-litre version of the (previously) 3.7-litre six-cylinder engine, this enlarged unit having been seen first in the Lagonda Rapide of 1961. Equipped with three SU carburettors the '400' engine produced 282bhp at 5,500rpm and was mated to a four-speed/overdrive gearbox, a 'proper' ZF five-speed unit being standardised later. Outwardly there was little to distinguish the DB5 from the final Series 5 DB4 apart from twin fuel filler caps, though these had already appeared on some cars. Beneath the skin however, there were numerous improvements including alternator electrics, Girling disc brakes instead of Dunlops, Sundym glass, electric windows and an oil pressure gauge as standard equipment.

This DB5's accompanying copy build sheet records that '1560/R' was supplied new via Brooklands to one Eric Sawyer Esq c/o Kaye-Gibson Ltd of Edmonton, London N18. The original finish is recorded as Porcelain White with red interior trim, while chrome road wheels and a heated rear screen are the only items of non-standard equipment listed. The car was originally registered 'GMC 484B'. Only one additional owner is recorded: Mr R C Clarke of Dunstable, Bedfordshire, the change being undated.

The previous listed keeper was Richard Carrington of Ware, who acquired the Aston in 1986, while the AMOC Register (published 2000) lists the then owner as P G R Hommes (Netherlands). The current vendor acquired the car via Aston Workshop, County Durham in 2002, since when it has carried his cherished registration. The DB5 then had approximately £45,000 worth of work undertaken to sort out various issues (bills available). More recently, in February 2008, Aston Workshop removed and stripped the engine, machined the block and re-bored new cylinder liners to accept oversize Cosworth pistons, thereby increasing the swept volume to 4.2 litres. In addition, steel valve seats were installed, the combustion chambers machined, the cylinder head re-faced, the water pump overhauled and a reconditioned five-speed gearbox fitted. The total cost of these works was £50,000 (bills on file).


Since acquisition the Aston has spent most of its life at the owner's Spanish home, hence the limited quantity of MoTs on file, and has covered only some 6,000 in the last 13 years. Freshly MoT'd, the car comes with the aforementioned bills and a V5C registration document.