1961 Aston Martin DB4
1961 Aston Martin DB4 'Series III' Sports Saloon
Chassis no. DB4/606/L
Engine no. 370/615
"For many Aston Martin enthusiasts the DB4 was the best of the post-war cars. Previous cars were lacking in power while the later DB5 and DB6 put on weight and were more like fast tourers than high-speed thoroughbreds..." Mike Twite, Motors, 1967.
Manufactured between October 1958 and June 1963, the DB4 developed through no fewer than five series. However, it should be made clear that the cars were not thus designated by the factory, this nomenclature having been suggested subsequently by the Aston Martin Owners Club to aid identification as the model evolved. The first series had already undergone a number of improvements, including the fitting of heavy-duty bumpers after the first 50 cars, before the second series arrived in January 1960. A front-hinged bonnet, bigger brake callipers and an enlarged sump were the major changes made on the Series II, while the third series featured separate rear lights, two bonnet stays and a host of improvements to the interior fittings.
Manufactured between September 1961 and October 1962, the fourth series was readily distinguishable by its shallower bonnet intake, recessed rear lights and new grille with seven vertical bars. The final, fifth, series was lengthened to 15' (allowing for increased legroom and a larger boot) and gained 15" wheels, an electric radiator fan and the DB4GT-type instrument panel. Including Vantage and convertible models, approximately 1,100 of these iconic 'Gentleman's Express' sports saloons were produced between 1958 and 1963.
This Series III DB4's guarantee form copy shows that it was manufactured in left-hand drive configuration and delivered to the J S Inskip distributorship in the USA in May 1961. The DB4 left the factory finished in Sea Green with White Gold interior trim and was equipped with chrome road wheels. Its first owner is recorded as one Robert S Mautner of Lindenhurst, New York and there is one subsequent owner listed: Mr P Sprague (no address given). The AMOC Register records the car as still in the USA in 1983.
Perhaps the most surprising aspect of this DB4's history is the amount of service work required during its early life, the first entry being dated 3rd July 1961 (at 1,000 miles) when the transmission was rebuilt! The clutch was replaced in February 1962 and then some seven years later the Aston was treated to a complete mechanical overhaul, including the suspension, brakes, steering and a full engine rebuild, at only 51,392 miles. These works also included repairs to body panels; repainting; a complete interior re-trim in natural leather; installing a new Bosch New Yorker radio; and fitting a Webasto sunroof. In fact, so extensive was the rebuild that the DB4's owner ended up with what was effectively a brand-new car.
Now being offered having been on static display, this matching numbers DB4 will naturally require recommissioning before returning to the road. Please also note the car will be subject to EU import taxes should it remain in the EU.