1961 Aston Martin DB4 'Series II' Sports Saloon Chassis no. DB4/568/L Engine no. 370/590
'When the products which are raced bear such a close resemblance to those which can be bought by the public, as do those of Aston Martin, only the most biased can deny the value of racing in improving the breed. It should be no surprise (that the DB4) should be based on an engine which first appeared in experimental form in some of last year's races.' - The Autocar, 3rd October 1958.
At its launch in October 1958, the DB4 marked a major turning point for Aston Martin as it was the first car of the David Brown era which neither used a chassis derived from the experimental Atom of 1939 nor an engine designed by W O Bentley. Moreover, it was the first Aston Martin to carry Carrozzeria Touring's 'Superleggera' bodywork, in which light alloy panels were fixed to a framework of light-gauge steel tubes welded to a platform chassis. Although styled by Touring, the DB4's gorgeous fastback coachwork was built under license at Newport Pagnell by Aston Martin, which employed some of the finest panel beaters in the industry. The result was a car whose sleek lines were described as 'unmistakably Italian and yet... equally unmistakably Aston Martin.' The 3.7-litre, six-cylinder power unit was the work of Tadek Marek, and had first been seen at Le Mans the previous year in the DBR2.
This left-hand drive 'Series II' DB4 was delivered new via Aston Martin's United States East Coast importer J S Inskip and first owned by one Fordyce L Foster of Hammondsport, New York. The accompanying copy order form records that the car was finished in Deep Carriage Green with Champagne Connolly leather interior trim (the same combination it wears today) and equipped with a heated rear screen, Bray block heater, Motorola radio and a wing mirror to the driver's side. Service work is recorded in 1961, 1962 and 1973.
Eventually the DB4 was sold to Norway where its next known owner was shipping-company boss Morten Sigval Bergesen of Oslo. Mr Bergesen obviously prized his DB4, keeping it on display in his office lobby for over 20 years. His son, Morten Bergesen Jr, subsequently took possession of the Aston Martin and in 2004 commissioned a total restoration by Aston Martin Works Service in Newport Pagnell, which was completed without regard to cost and returned the DB4 to impeccable condition, beautifully refinished in its original factory colour scheme. The process was carefully recorded and documented in two Works Service leather binders, complete with sections for each major milestone. Also included are images depicting the engine rebuild together with dynamometer printouts, confirming that the engine produced its factory-specified power output of 240bhp following completion. Its documentation alone cannot fully articulate the thoroughness of this DB4's restoration - only a full examination can convey the care and massive investment in time and money lavished upon it. The current vendor acquired the car directly from Morten Bergesen Jr.
A truly spectacular example of the DB4 that ushered in a new era at Newport Pagnell, this Series II is, arguably, one of the finest examples extant. Eligible for AMOC and a wide variety of other historic events. Eligible for AMOC and a wide variety of other historic events, it comes with the aforementioned documentation and Arizona Certificate of Title.
Should the vehicle remain in the UK, local import taxes of 5% will be applied to the hammer price.