1956 Aston Martin DB2

Zusammenfassung

  • Baujahr 
    1956
  • Chassisnummer 
    AM300/1241
  • Losnummer 
    223
  • Lenkung 
    Links
  • Zustand 
    Gebraucht
  • Zahl der Sitze 
    2
  • Standort
  • Außenfarbe 
    Sonstige
  • Antrieb 
    Zweirad
  • Kraftstoff 
    Benzin

Beschreibung

1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 MkII Fixed-head Coupé
Coachwork by Tickford
Chassis no. AM300/1241

David Brown's acquisition of Tickford Ltd in 1953 led to bodywork for the revised MkII model, launched at the London Motor Show in October 1955, being manufactured by the Newport Pagnell coachbuilder. For the first time there was a third body type on offer: a fixed-head coupé in 'notchback' style. Very attractive, the latter afforded accommodation similar to that of the drophead version but was priced the same as the three-door sports saloon.

While mechanically very little different from its predecessor, the DB2/4 MkII was readily identifiable by its subtly altered lines, the most significant change being a ¾" increase in roof height that afforded greater headroom. Flashing indicators and discreet tail fins made an appearance, as did chromed trim strips running from the front wheelarch tops to the door shuts, below which the bonnet sides were now fixed, thus lightening the bonnet assembly. Interior improvements included better seats and a proper fly-off handbrake. The Aston's six had been enlarged from 2.6 to 3.0 litres part way through production of the DB2/4 MkI and continued unchanged in the MkII, though a special series VB6J engine suffixed 'L' or 'L1' producing 165bhp was available as an option. Of the 199 DB2/4 MkIIs produced up to October 1957, saloons accounted for the majority with 24 built as drophead coupés, 34 as fixed-head coupés and four supplied as chassis only.

One of the 34 fixed-head coupés made, 16 of which were delivered in the UK, the car we offer is one of the rarest and thus most desirable of all post-war Aston Martins. Chassis number 'AM300/1241' was delivered on 22nd November 1956 to the well-known Aston Martin/Lagonda agent, Brooklands of Bond Street and subsequently was purchased by Ashtons Development, a steel fabrications company based in Essex. Special features included non-polished aluminium castings, a wood-rim steering wheel and striking two-tone livery of Ice Blue with Peacock Blue hardtop and blue-grey interior, all of which the car retains today. The AMOC Register lists the original UK registration as 'ULM 333', though it should be noted that the car was pictured in Australia carrying 'ULH 33' (see press cutting on file).

The accompanying logbook records the next owner (from February 1960) as a Mr Maurice Goldman, an Essex resident who kept the Aston for some 20 months, selling it in October 1961 to Mr Anthony Percival Amato of London. Over the course of approximately the next 17 years the car passed through the hands of four owners in the UK before being sold to Australian resident Christopher A Green in April 1978. The AMOC Register records '1241' as winning a 1st place concours award at the Australian National Rally, Shepperton in 1982 and lists only one other owner in Australia – P de Janko – who entered it in the Melbourne Classic Car Show in 1987, winning another 1st place award.

Brought back to Europe via the Houtekamp Collection in 2010 and purchased subsequently by the current owner, the Aston is believed to have undergone a full restoration in Australia, appearing very presentable and possessing a nice patina. We are advised that all the gauges are fully functioning and the car starts easily, runs strongly and tracks well. A significant addition to any important private collection, this example of a most desirable 'factory coachbuilt' Aston Martin is offered with tool kit, sundry service invoices, an old Australian registration document and Netherlands customs papers.