1953 Arnolt MG Coupe

Zusammenfassung

  • Baujahr 
    1953
  • Automobiltyp 
    Coupé
  • Landesspezifische Mehrwertsteuer 
    FR
  • Losnummer 
    11
  • Lenkung 
    Links
  • Zustand 
    Restauriert
  • Standort
  • Außenfarbe 
    Weiss

Beschreibung

French registration
Chassis n°TD27801

- Only 67 copies
- Body by Bertone
- Elegant style

At the beginning of the 1950s, Stanley Arnolt, a racing enthusiast, gave up the manufacture of marine engines and devoted himself to the resale of English cars. He founded S.H. Arnolt Inc and became the main MG, Riley and Morris importer in the American Midwest. Later he also became a Bentley, Rolls-Royce and Aston-Martin dealer. In 1952, during a visit to the Turin Motor Show, he fell under the spell of a coupé and a convertible presented by the Italian coachbuilder Bertone. Built on the chassis of the small MG TD, their innovative lines are the result of the collaboration of Giovanni Bertone, Nuccio Bertone and Franco Scaglione. Very interested, Arnolt negotiates an exclusivity contract for these models. The Bertone establishments, in financial difficulty, cannot afford to miss such a bargain. The American importer plans to build 200 models: 100 coupes and 100 convertibles. The chassis equipped with their engines from the MG factory in Abingdon were sent to Genoa by boat and then transited to Turin by truck. The steel bodywork with aluminum sashes was welded to the chassis and not bolted as was done at MG. The cars were then shipped to the United States and then transported to Chicago to finalise assembly. The car could be fitted with optional Borrani spoke rims or a Motorola radio. The Arnolt MG is equipped with the 1250cc XPAG engine developing 54 horsepower from the TD, some cars will receive a Shorrock compressor as an option. Unfortunately, production will not reach 200 units as the MG factory will stop supplying the chassis. In the end, 102 cars will be manufactured between 1953 and 1954: 67 coupes and 36 convertibles.

The car we are presenting is number 315, it was put into circulation in 1953 in the United States. It was completely restored in the early 2000s when it belonged to an American living in Phoenix, Arizona. The body has been repainted in its original old english white colour and the interior has been restored to its original connolly red colour. This very elegant colour combination gives this car a very attractive look. Our Arnolt was imported to France in the early 2000's and is now in good condition. Mechanically, the car starts at a quarter turn and is very easy to handle. Extremely rare model on the European market, there are very few survivors left today. Between English mechanics and Italian style of the 50s, this superb coupe has all the arguments to seduce you.

Aguttes – Auction House in Paris
The Autumn Sale 2020 / 13th of December

Public Viewing:
On appointment only

Contact: +33 1 47 45 93 01 / [email protected]

The Auction Sale:
Sunday 13 December: 15:00 PM

Aguttes
164 bis avenue Charles de Gaullle
92 200 Neuilly-sur-Seine

For more information:
Contact: +33 1 47 45 93 01 / +33 6 16 91 42 28 / [email protected]

https://expertise.aguttes.com/estimation-automobiles-de-collection/