This wonderful Alfa Romeo 6C was featured in Sports Car Digest in December 2012. An extract on the model written by Andrew Newton is offered here;
'Like so many of the great names in the automotive industry in Continental Europe, Alfa Romeo could not escape from the grim political and economic realities surrounding the Second World War. The company was technically controlled by the Mussolini government from 1932, and the factory fell victim to Allied bombing during the war. Alfa struggled in the immediate postwar years to find a proper niche for itself in terms of road car production. The bigger, grander, more elegant sports cars that they had built before the war would not see to the company's long-term success, so the construction of smaller and cheaper but still high-quality sporting cars was pursued.
This shift in Alfa Romeo's focus worked, and they built some of the most memorable cars of the 1960s and 1970s. For a few short years in the late 1940s and 1950s, however, there was a bit of the old Alfa Romeo still about. In 1950 and 1951, Farina and Fangio used the wild Alfa Romeo 158 and 159 to dominate the first two years of Formula One racing, and larger coach built sports cars were still rolling out of the updated factory. The car featured here, is just one of the big, sporting cabriolets from those formative years in Alfa Romeo's history.
The "6C" moniker on Alfas goes all the way back to the 1920s, but this postwar 6C 2500, the last of the 6Cs, is a development of the similar prewar 6C 2300 and 2500. Equipped with the Vittorio Jano-designed twin-cam, 2443 cc straight-six topped with Weber carburetors, the 6C was available in various states of trim, including the "Sport", "Super Sport", and "Super Sport Corsa". Coach built bodies were provided by Pininfarina, Touring, Ghia, and Bertone, among others. After 1951, the 6C was replaced by the 1900, a more appropriate Alfa for the company's postwar role in the sports car world.'
This particular 6C is a sport model produced on 23rd March 1948 and sold on the 20th January 1949 in Turin, Italy. It was restored ten years ago while in the custody of the previous owner who had cared for the car for 35 years during which time it spent the majority of its life being proudly displayed in a museum. The chassis number is 916139 and the engine number is 926455, making it a matching numbers car. The body, possibly the prettiest of those fitted to the 6C, is by Pininfarina.
Purchased from Chile by our vendor, this wonderful 6C became a labour of love in procurement. In order to be able to export a car from Chile, the buyer must be a resident and Chilean tax payer, whilst the car must be registered for a minimum of three months prior to export. Being an Australian citizen, our respected vendor and collector clearly understood the importance of this automobile by achieving a successful purchase.
This car is now only offered for sale due to our vendor rationalising his substantial collection of over 300 cars to a very select 25 to 30. Wonderful presentation and clean history make it a tantalising slice of pure, classic Alfa Romeo history.