1931 Alfa Romeo 6C
Zahl der Sitze2
1931 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 GT 5th Series Saloon
Coachwork by Carrozzeria Touring
Registration no. 809 UXL
Chassis no. 10914592
Engine no. 10914592
'The 1750, and for that matter the 1500... must be among the finest ever made both from the point of view of engineering and driver satisfaction.' - Michael Frostick, 'Alfa-Romeo - Milano'.
It was in 1923 that Enzo Ferrari, no less, persuaded Vittorio Jano to leave FIAT's racing department and join him at Alfa Romeo. One of the most gifted and influential automobile engineers of all time, Jano would not only supervise Alfa Romeo's Grand Prix racing programme but also design its road cars. This happy state of affairs resulted in the latter emerging as some of the most exciting of their day, establishing the Milanese marque's reputation for producing sporting driver's cars second to none. Logical derivative of the Tipo 6C 1500, itself directly descended from Jano's all-conquering P2 that had won the World Championship in 1925, the Tipo 6C 1750 arrived in 1929 boasting a derivative of the 1500's six-cylinder engine enlarged to 1,752cc. Built in single-cam Turismo and twin-cam Sport (later renamed Gran Turismo - GT) variants, the 6C 1750 was an exciting fast touring car combining light weight with sparkling performance, more than 75mph being attainable depending on the coachwork. There was also a supercharged 'SS' version, which later evolved into the 'GS'. The 1750's sporting career, aided by its mechanical longevity, extended far beyond its production, which ceased in 1933.
This car's Certificate of Origin (dated 21st October 1931) shows that it was registered on 22nd October that year as '39577 MI' to Conte Luigi Visconte di Modrone. It was supplied by Pirola & Co, at that time a well-known Alfa Romeo dealership in Milan. In 1932 the car changed hands and was purchased by Luigi Marinoni and reregistered '30648 Roma'. Subsequent owners were Glaino Venturi, Ugo Curti and Mario Farina.
In 1967 the car (registered '4714 CB' some time in 1945) was acquired by Luigi Fusi, senior design engineer at Alfa Romeo, who subsequently became the official factory historian and author of numerous books. This car appears in several publications, most notably 'The 6C 1750 Alfa Romeo' by Fusi and Slater (page 32) and 'Alfa Romeo - Milano' by Frostick (page 29).
At some point in Fusi's ownership the Alfa was re-sprayed in its current livery, the original colour being black. The original certificate of homologation (from the Automotoclub Storica Italiano) assigned in 1970 is one of many documents accompanying the car. On 27th February 1981, ownership changed to his Luigi's son, Gigi. Luigi Fusi died on 27th December 1996 and it is believed that at this date the car was still owned by Gigi. The current owner acquired the Alfa in 2004, bringing it to the UK for the first time.
We are advised that '809 UXL' has undergone a major mechanical overhaul, resulting in a reliable car that drives, steers, corners and stops like an Alfa should. The work carried out (and supported by invoices) includes rebuilding the engine around a new block (original with car) together with new forged pistons and con-rods, and shell-type big-end bearings. The engine was run in on a dynamometer, and the carburettor subsequently set up on a rolling road.
A new modified clutch was fitted (original with car) and the gearbox rebuilt using new gears from Brineton Engineering. The radiator has been re-cored (with correct square section) and a correct Bosch distributor sourced and rebuilt (with discreet integral electronic ignition). The carburettor is a correct Solex 26-30 FFV twin-choke up-draught unit, which is supplied with fuel via a rebuilt Autovac.
The suspension has been rebuilt, new shackle pins/bushes being fitted, the leaf springs stripped/greased and shock absorbers overhauled. Likewise the steering box and column, while the track rods are now adjustable. The rear axle torque tube universal joint has been rebuilt with new oil seals, and the brakes relined and skimmed to match the drums. New Blockley tyres are mounted on rebuilt wheels featuring correctly remanufactured wheel nuts. The roof has been re-covered and the running boards refurbished, while the interior remains largely untouched, retaining the original dashboard and full compliment of working instruments. The seats, door cards and headlining are all original.
We are advised that the Alfa is now a very usable car, 'on the button' and with everything working. It has been driven to Zandvoort (Dutch Alfa Romeo Club meeting), toured Brittany, been driven up the hill at Shelsley Walsh (AROC meeting) and completed numerous Bean Car Club Daffodil Runs, as well as attending the usual VSCC events such as Prescott, etc. Accompanying documentation consists of the aforementioned original Italian paperwork, sundry restoration invoices and a V5C registration document.