Ex-Duke of Hamilton 1959 Scott 596cc Flying Squirrel Registration no. YOL 92 Frame no. 1202 Engine no. DMS2004
First seen in 1908, Scott's original engine layout would survive until production petered out in the late 1960s, by which time the company had changed hands and relocated from Shipley to Birmingham. Scott's acquisition by Matt Holder's Aerco Jig & Tool Company in 1950 brought with it a number of long-awaited improvements, including a new duplex frame featuring rear suspension and improved brakes, though customers had to wait until 1956 to buy one of these new 'Birmingham' Scotts.
We are advised that this Birmingham-built Flying Squirrel was purchased new by the Duke of Hamilton for his wife and kept for nine years before being bought back by Matt Holder, who kept it for the next ten years. Of particular interest is the Velocette four-speed gearbox, fitted from new by the factory. More recently, 'YOL 92' was featured in an article in 'Real Classic' magazine (October 2014 edition) while it was owned by Mr Mick Bodill (copy available). During Mick's ownership the engine was rebuilt and the electrics upgraded using a 12-volt alternator and modern rectifier. The machine was further improved with Boyer Bransden electronic ignition and an Amal Concentric carburettor, banishing the previous starting problems and improving the performance. Accompanying documentation consists of restoration invoices, an old-style logbook, dating certificate and a V5C registration document, while the machine also comes with the various removed standard parts.