1934 Scott 498cc Flying Squirrel (see text) Registration no. BYN 566 Frame no. 3793M Engine no. LFZ3951
Launched in 1925, the Scott Flying Squirrel came in 498cc and 596cc capacities, the latter being the most expensive machine in the range. Subsequent models benefited from the racing programme, gaining the duplex frame and bigger brakes (first seen on the 1926 works bikes) and the magneto-platform Pilgrim oil pump adopted for the 1927 TT machines. In the 1930s the 'Flyer' took on more of a touring role, being further up-dated with detachable cylinder head, Brampton forks and a foot-change gearbox.
Boasting matching frame and engine numbers, this Flying Squirrel was despatched from the factory on 22nd February 1934 to Roland Smith of London NW3. 'BYN 566' was acquired by the vendor in 1962 and has been ridden regularly but sparingly since then. The engine was rebuilt in 1992 by specialist Glyn Chambers, while more recent works have included powder coating the frame and wheel rims, and repainting the fuel tank. Unusually, the gearbox has a foot-change end cover that has been converted back to hand change. Described as a honest machine capable of everyday use, 'BYN 566' is offered with a V5C document. It should be noted that the engine number's 'LFZ' prefix denotes a capacity of 498cc but the V5C lists it as 600cc. It has not been possible to determine the actual capacity. A dynamo, headlamp, battery carrier, voltage regulator, horn and various other components are included in the sale.