1930 New Hudson 500cc Frame no. LL0663 Engine no. LS0670
The Birmingham firm of New Hudson started out as a bicycle manufacturer. Their first powered machine of 1903 used a clip-on Minerva engine, and this was followed by the first proper motorcycle in 1910. New Hudson made its Isle of Man TT debut in 1911, but major competition success eluded the Birmingham firm until Bert Le Vack took over racing development in 1927, becoming the first man to lap Brooklands at over 100mph on a 500 that same year. Le Vack's mount was powered by a development of New Hudson's own overhead-valve engine that had first appeared at the TT in 1924, and this handsome power unit was also used by the factory team in the 'Island' in 1927, works rider Jimmy Guthrie finishing the Senior race in second place. New Hudson announced a new range for 1931, but the onset of economic depression did little to encourage sales and in 1933 the company, by then manufacturers of Girling automotive components, ceased to build motorcycles. There was a brief return in 1940 with the New Hudson Autocycle, later built by BSA. This handsome 500cc New Hudson was restored n 2013 and is offered from an Italian private collection. there are no documents with this Lot.