1937 Matchless Other

Summary

  • Baujahr 
    1937
  • Motorradtyp 
    Straßenmaschine
  • Motornummer 
    37X/5004
  • Losnummer 
    332
  • Zustand 
    Gebraucht
  • Farbe 
    Sonstige
  • Standort

Beschreibung

1937 Matchless 982cc Model X
Registration no. DXD 476
Frame no. 619
Engine no. 37X/5004

Founded by the Collier family in Plumstead, South London, Matchless built its first motorcycle in 1902. Matchless offered v-twin sidecar tugs from its earliest days and from 1914 concentrating exclusively on this type of machine. Production of these MAG-engined models resumed after WWI and continued into the 1920s despite the presence of a more modern Matchless-engined rival in the range. Designated 'X/2' on its launch in 1925, this 982cc sidevalve v-twin would remain in production until the outbreak of WW2, its engine being supplied to Brough Superior for use in the SS80 from 1935 onwards. While lesser models came and went, the stately Model X remained a fixture of the range, progressively updated, until 1940. The most significant upgrades along the way were introduced for 1937 when the Model X adopted a shorter frame, restyled fuel tank and front-mounted magneto.

This restored Model X was purchased by the current owner in 2008 and since then has formed part of his private collection in the Isle of Man, being used only for club runs and parade laps of the TT course. The Matchless has been serviced annually (including an oil change) and last year the piston rings were renewed. Described as very strong and an easy starter, the machine is offered with an old-style logbook, old/current V5/V5C documents and a pillion saddle.