Douglas Other

Summary

  • Motorradtyp 
    Straßenmaschine
  • Motornummer 
    H2221
  • Losnummer 
    243
  • Zustand 
    Gebraucht
  • Farbe 
    Sonstige
  • Standort

Beschreibung

c.1920 Douglas Project
Registration no. not registered
Frame no. D2324
Engine no. H2221

The Bristol-based Douglas Foundry took up motorcycle production in 1907 with a machine powered by a horizontally-opposed twin, and the company would keep faith with this engine layout until it ceased motorcycle production in 1957. Fore-and-aft installation made for a slim machine with a low centre of gravity, and the design's virtues were soon demonstrated in competition, Douglas machines taking first, second and fourth places in the 1912 Junior TT in the Isle of Man. Douglas were quick to realise the advantages of the countershaft gearbox, its three-speed entries gaining the Team Prize in the 1914 Six Days Trial, a conspicuous success which resulted in the firm obtaining a wartime contract for the supply of military machines.
Fitted with BSA Bantam forks and wheels, this incomplete Douglas is offered for restoration. The engine capacity is not known, though 350cc seems most likely.